What's new

Good quality IC or use 2 digital COAX cables???? (1 Viewer)

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Any thoughts on using 2 good quality Digital Coax cables vs. using a mid-high range interconnect cable??
Particularly I am interested in taking some high quality Quad Shieled RG-6 and put on connectors to make some nice coax cables. Naturally this can be done pretty cheaply vs. going out and buying a mid-hi end interconnect. What do you guys think??
Greg

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Greg: what are you using the cables for?
(I am assuming you are talking about a coaxial-digital connection between a DVD player and a receiver.)
Several people with computer DVD drives & DD sound cards in one room and the receiver in another take RG6 or RG59 CATV coax and screw on adaptors. This works fine even for 20-30 feet.
But if everything is in the rack, I like a nice-looking video cable that costs about $15 (considered low-end).
Although your quad-shielded CATV coax idea is fine from a signal standpoint, it has some real-world drawbacks:
- CATV coax is stiff because of the weather-proof outer jacket. This makes it hard to work with and puts a lot of strain on the connectors (and the plugs on your equipment) as it gets jostled/weighed down with other cables. This will make it likely to pull off.
- Each connector is a possible failure point. Your RG6 coax idea would have a crimp-on F connector, Screw-on F-to-RCA adaptor, and the same on the other side. This is 4 possible failure points. A pre-made cable has only 2, and they are usually well crimped at a factory.
- CATV Coax just looks crappy. A nice video cable with yellow-bands on the RCA plug looks better and is easier to trace.
So if you need a long cable, try one of the 20 foot MegaCable sets from Radio Shack. (This is assuming you are using it for a coaxial-digital connection).
If you are talking about a long video connection, then I would urge you to try Better Cables so you are getting good coax with measured performance at 100 feet.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks