What's new

Good, Cheap DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I know this topic has probably been beaten like a dead horse, but I'll ask again. I posted a reply in another topic a few minutes ago about what DVD player to get. I'm using my PS2, but want something more. I see the Toshiba 1700, Panasonic 31 (?), Pioneer 343, etc. for sale really cheap. I have a 27" 4:3 TV. I don't know enough about DVD player to notice any small problems. I'm looking to pick a player up soon, but have no idea what to get.
BTW, has the synch problems been fixed these days? I remember when I was in the market for a player a year or so ago and there were a lot of synch problems with the players that were out at the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Honestly, I bet you're better off sticking with the PS2 untill you get a higher end display. From my experience, and from what I've read, it's not too shabby of a player.
Get a good monster game cable (svideo or componet if your set can take it), and run an optical out to your reciever for some DTS love.
thats what I'm doing until I get my new HDset in a couple months.
I also just got notice from EB that my Sony DVD remote has shipped and I'll be getting it tommorow. I believe it may come with a firmware update CD... I'll post details tommorow.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I never hear of lip-synch problems with newer DVD players (i.e., 2000-2001 models). Lip-synching was common with Sony DVD players manufactured in 1999-2000 (DVP-S330, DVP-S530D, etc.), early Denon DVD-1000 units, and a few others, but it seems as though manufacturers have corrected the problem.
For an inexpensive player, I would look at the Pioneer DV-343. Pioneer makes excellent inexpensive players. My girlfriend has the DV-C503 carousel changers ($220-250), and it is very good for the price from the standpoint of picture, sound, and build quality and features. It plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs. For $160, I don't think you will do better than the '343. However, you may want to wait to see the Pioneer DV-440. I have high hopes for this single-disc player. It should be out shortly and will sell for around $200. It too will play CD-Rs and CD-RWs and will also play MP3-encoded CDs. The '440 will have a Burr-Brown DAC and will only be 2.25" tall. It sounds like it will offer a lot of bang for the buck. For more information on the '440, check out www.crutchfield.com . Last time I checked their web site, they didn't have it in stock yet, but were taking pre-orders.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
Rob..
Yeah, I think the PS2 plays DVDs pretty well, too. I have noticed, though, that some of my movies have a synch problem. Sometimes it will go away if you stop it and start the scene over again.
Let me know how that remote is. That would be sweet if it included a firmware update. I read somewhere that they were supposed to include updates on new games, but you would never know it loaded because it did it automatically.
Keith..
Thanks for the heads up. I went over to Crutchfield to check it out and they have them in stock now. It does look pretty sweet. Since it is the next model, is it safe to assume that it will be equal, or better than, the 343, or doesn't it work that way with DVD players?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Keith. Pioneer makes some really great DVD players and their compatability with CD-R and CD-RW is flawless. The anamorphic downconversion is pretty respectable as well. Good build quality and nice sound round out the Pioneer package. If I were shopping for a DVD player with $200 in my hands my search would start and stop with Pioneer.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'll throw in another vote for Pioneer. I picked up the DV-C503 changer the other day for $170 at BB. They had it advertised for $229 with a $30 rebate in their print ad, but the price tag under the demo unit showed $199 with a $30 rebate. Needless to say I jumped all over that.
I've really been pleased with the performance so far. It's replacing a Toshiba SD-2109, and it seems to outperform it all around. The picture is definitely better and there seems to be in improvement in sound as well.
It's not feature laden, but it's the performance that counts in my eyes. It's a very fast loader.....that's a noticable improvement over most players I've demoed.....
If you've got a BB local, I'd see if they have the same price advertised. If not, there are places online that you can get it for about $210 shipped.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I recently purchased the Panasonic DVD-RV31 for $199 and I think it's an excellent value. It has component outs and can play MP3's and CDRW's. I'm sure there's a lot better players out there but I really think you get your money's worth and more out of this player.
------------------
My Home Theater
Go Noles!
>>------>

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
I've been seeing a lot of good things said about the Pioneers. I'm interested in the new 444 model. Has anyone picked one of these up yet?

Evan Mann

Agent
Steve,
I read over on www.vcdhelp.com 1 review. The guy said it plays SVCD flawlessly and has better picture this his 2 prior DVDs. Just head over there, click DVD Players link, then type in Pioneer and find it.
I was ready to buy a 343 this weekend but that 440 is sweet looking becaues it's so THIN, AND it plays MP3 CDs which the 343 doesn't. I may just have to say what the heck and buy this sucker from crutchfield. I just hope it plays SVCD/XVCD up to the bitrate level the 343 does, as well as being able to play all DVD-RW/+RW media like the 343.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it may come with a firmware update CD...
Actually, I don't believe that the Sony-branded PS2 remote actually comes with a firmware update CD. I'm pretty sure that it includes drivers for the remote and infrared sensor only. You need 2200k (!!!) free on a memory card for the drivers unless you own the newer "30001R" console revisions that already have them built into their firmware.
After my Toshiba SD-2150 DVD player got stolen a few months back, I had to tough it out with my PS2 until I was able to afford a new player. I hated the 3rd-party PS2 remotes; total pain in the butt. The Sony-branded PS2 remote hit the market WAY too late. Not to mention that the $19.99 MSRP of that remote becomes a total of $55 if you figure in a memory card (most people own the plain-jane 30001 model).
------------------

Steve Gazi

Stunt Coordinator
Evan, you would think that since it's newer it would do everything the other one did, but better. I'm not sure if it works like that, but I'd hope so. I'm still trying to do a little more research before I commit, but the Pioneer is sounding pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks