What's new

Going to Disneyworld, any tips? (1 Viewer)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Lots of good information here! Heed the advice. :D
Hope you're still checking in on this thread Mike, and not too busy packing. ;)
One point I'd like to clarify:
Unfortunately you can only have 1 fastpass at a time, so don't waste it on something small.
He's right, but I'll add that you can get another Fast Pass 2 hours after picking one up. For example: if you pick up a Fast Pass for Space Mountain at 1:00 and it says to return at 6:00 you can still get another Fass Pass from another ride at 3:00 even though the Space Mountain one doesn't expire until 6:00. Also, cast members will take expired Fast Passes. Your 6:00 Fass Pass for Space Mountain would say "Return between 6:00 & 7:00" but you can ride after 7:00 if you need to.
And the biggest misconception about Fast Pass is that it costs extra. Actually IT'S FREE. Just hold on to your park passport 'cause you'll need it.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
> Most people are naturally right handed and will line up in the right line, leaving the left line very short.
Another tip along the same line is go to the back of the park & work your way forward. Most people get in line at the first ride they reach. A great example of this is Spaceship Earth, which is the closest thing to the entrance at EPCOT. There's often a long line for it early in the day; if you wait til later you can usually get right on. (In my opinion it's not worth more than a 5-min wait.)
One thing about Fastpass- since you have to go to the ride to get the pass, it's sometimes quicker to just get in the standby line rather than get a Fastpass, go somewhere else, & come back (especially if there's nothing else nearby you want to see). One way to gauge this is that if the times for the passes currently being issued (which is displayed above the machine) is not far in the future, it's probably quicker to go standby. In other words, if it's noon now, & the passes are being issued for entry at 1-2 pm, the standby line is probably your best bet.
The single rider line at Test Track is usually your best bet. It's the only Disney ride I've seen that has one. Single rider just means you'll be put on the ride without the rest of your party; you don't have to get in line alone to use it, & can stay with your group almost til it's time to board.
> remember everything at Disney is expensive
Actually, a lot of the food & drink is reasonably priced for a theme park, compared to what's charged at concerts or movie theatres now. (You'll still be gouged but not as much as you could be. :)) The real sticker shock is in the admission prices, over $50 for non-Florida residents.

Chris Lock

Second Unit
BTW, since Sept they've started searching bags & purses on the way in, looking for weapons & the like. But people still seem to have no problem bringing in snacks, homemade sandwiches, etc., although I think the official policy is no food/drink brought into the parks. I never have a problem bringing my bottle of water, which is in plain sight. (If they said anything, I'd just pour the water out & say OK, now I'm just bringing in an empty plastic bottle. :) If they question food you bring in, say your doctor has you on a special diet & you have to prepare your own food.)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
over $50 for non-Florida residents

There is a discount rate for Florida residents? What do you folks pay?

Steven K

Supporting Actor
My wife and I just went to Disney for our honeymoon a few weeks ago... we stayed at the Polynesian and the Coronado Springs. Are you staying in a Disney resort?
Definitely get a fast-pass for Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. Also, get one for:
Dinosaur, Kiliminjaro Safari (Animal Kingdom)
Rock and Roller Coaster (MGM)
The Rock and Roller Coaster is amazing!
Also, be sure to ride the Monorail and listen very carefully to the voice-announcement when the doors are getting ready to shut:
"Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas!"
Dunno why, but I found this to be very amusing :) Every time we heard it, I couldn't help but crack a smile... so much so that when we got back, I found a soundbyte of it on the net and burned it onto a CD 99 times (of course now my wife can't stand it)...

Mike I

Supporting Actor
There is a discount rate for Florida residents? What do you folks pay?

There is no daily discount for Florida residents, but Fl residents can by an Annual pass which gives you free parking and unlimited visits to all four parks for about 279 per pass..There is also a limited annual pass which has a bunch of black out dates for about 179...A couple times of year during non peak periods, they also offer 4 day park hopper pass for Florida residents at a discount..I think it is 99.00

Universal Studio's, Sea World and Busch Gardens also have simalar annual pass deals for Florida residents.

Danny R

Supporting Actor
We dressed in swim suits and t-shirts, carried only driver's licenses, ATM cards, and cash in a ziplock freezer bag

One nice thing about being a resort guest... your room key can also serve as your ticket at the gates, and also serve as a substitute for your credit card (and its accepted EVERYWHERE in the parks, even the sidewalk stands). Just one piece of plastic to carry around.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
It rains at least once a day.
You haven't been here in a while, have you?;) It hasn't been like that since '97, but I'm hoping for a wetter summer.
Take LOTS of water with you, and DRINK IT! It's $2.50 each in the parks, for a 20oz bottle. Stop by a Wal Mart somewhere.
Have fun. Don't forget about Animal Kingdom. When not in the parks, cruise the monorail, and check out some of the different hotels. RainForest Cafe is a good place to eat, especially with kids. There are two- one at Downtown Disney, the other at the entrance of Animal Kingdom.
Oh yeah, if you get bored, Episode II is showing in DLP at Pleasure Island AMC 24 (theater #19).;)
Todd

Chris Lock

Second Unit
The annual/seasonal passes for FL residents are what I was referring to. Last year I got a seasonal for about $170 & used it about 15 days. 170 / 15 = much less than 50!

brian a

Second Unit
Watch for seagulls! I had one drop a load on me while waiting in line for Twister at Universal Studios a couple of months ago. Let me tell you, it's not something you want to have happen to you. ;)
The folks at the park acted like it happened often enough to not be unusual.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I used to be a Cast Member at WDW, and all of the info I've seen here is esentially correct, and can be a BIG help.

Particularly good is the waterproofing idea. Believe me, you don't want to buy the Classic yellow ponchos. You actually sweat in them so badly, you may end up wetter with them on. Also, they're difficult to fold up as tight as when new, so unless someone has a backpack...

NO monorail stops will refuse a request for "the NOSE", if there's room available. 2 factors...is anyone already waiting, and will the folks already in the nose get off at that stop. It IS worth waiting for.

Kudos to the guy who likes the "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas." It's so "elemental" for us(cast) and so many guests.

Let me also suggest taking advantage of the extended hours, if they're in effect. If you're at a Property hotel, go home at 11, and return after 3. Goto the pools, arcades, nap in the room, or grab a lunch in a different hotel's restaurant everyday. Each resort is very cool.

I worked at the Poly, and am partial to the three "Rail" resorts, but DO NOT MISS A CHANCE TO VISIT the Wilderness Lodge. Take bikes, or use the pool. See the geyser.

At the Studios, the best spot to view the fireworks is from the Animation Courtyard, or by Gertie.(worked there too)

There's so much more to share....but never enough time or ways to "crystallize" it. Read this thread and the websites. Ask questions if you have them.

Speaking of questions...TOP lesson for any guest....

ASK for special treatment, and you're likely to get it.

When I was cast and then manager, policy is to try to fulfill any request. Meaning simply, you have to ask.

Don't be timid, either. Some people are too bashful or have over-developed modesty to ask for special treatment. This rule applies to just about everything. It may not always pan out, but hey...even just one special moment can make an unforgettable holiday. ASK.

Good luck, and enjoy. That daily rain Jeff mentioned... 3:30ish for 20 minutes.

Aloha,

Danny R

Supporting Actor
NO monorail stops will refuse a request for "the NOSE", if there's room available. 2 factors...is anyone already waiting, and will the folks already in the nose get off at that stop. It IS worth waiting for.

This is what I thought too, but when we went last year the attendants wouldn't let us get in the nose on one of the trips, saying they didn't offer it for that route anymore (can't remember if it was the ticket centermagic kingdom, or the Magic KingdomEpcot one). Perhaps it was a 1 season only decision which they revoked? I've ridden there many times, and am sure it wasn't because it was crowded or already full at the time. *shrug*

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Hmm, maybe I should make a call to some friends to find out. I'm intrigued.

Could this have been post 9/11?

Danny R

Supporting Actor
No, it was the summer before that. Besides, if it were security related, why allow it on one route but not another? (I can just imagine a stupid hijacker thinking he's going to hijack the monorail and ram it into the Contemporary Hotel! ;) )

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Make sure you eat at Tony's in Magic Kingdom (great Italian food).

Check out the animation studios at MGM

Go to the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

Pleasure Island (Downtown Disney) is a must (Mannequins is a great night club)

Drink lots of alcohol at Epcot (many great imported beers)

Go to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure to ride Spider-Man and The Hulk (2 of the greatest rides on the planet)

-Dean-

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
When I went with my family we followed one of the guide books. It detailed the exact order to get on each ride in the park. The longest line we waited in was ~5 minutes. One thing I remembered was to put in lunch and dinner reservations as soon as possible. For a little more than the cost of a few hot dogs and sodas you could go to a nice sit down place instead...

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I actually just came home from Disney World yesterday (I picked a good week to go, judging by the weather up here :rolleyes:)
Anyways, I had a blast!! Went with two other friends from university days. We all had a great time! I can't remember what my favorite part was, I liked everything so much. This was my third time down there and I think I enjoyed it more than when I was a kid.
We stayed at the All Star Music resort and I think I'll definitely go to the all star resorts again. Convenient and not too expensive.
I took over 200 pictures with my digital camera, and I'm waiting for them to download as I write this... can't wait to see how they turned out.
...as for riding in the front of the monorail.... every time I looked I saw people riding in the front.
To summarize: Disney World GREAT!! Work not so great :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks