What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Glen Campell - how good is he as a guitarist? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am not a fan of Glen Campbell's....I just haven't come around to buying any of his recordings. However, I just read a review of Glen Campbell - The Legacy (1961 - 2002) in this month's edition of Soundstage.com which mentioned Campbell's amazing skill as a guitar player. This reminded me of a recent intervew, before Campbell's recent run-in with the law, of Campbell on "The Tonight Show" with Jay Leno in which Leno asked Campbell whether he's as good as Eddie Van Halen. Campbell answered "Better!". In Soundstage.com's review, it mentioned....

So anyone seen Glen Campbell live??

728x90

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link, Phil. Excellent insight into Glen.

Wow!! Beach Boys' Pet Sounds!! I knew he was an early member of the Beach Boys but didn't realize he was there for Pet Sounds.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm not near my LP collection right now but among my country discs is an instrumental guitar anthology that includes Mr. Campbell. Fine stuff.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still have an early LP of Campbell's (which I do not believe was a big seller for him) titled "The Amazing 12-string guitar of Glen Campbell"

He was/is quite versatile on a number of stringed instruments. But his work I've seen on the 6 & 12-stringed guitar is phenomenal. Never been to a live concert but was a huge fan when I was young. Never missed the "Goodtime Hour" on CBS! :D Some of you may remember that in every one of those programs, he had a mini-concert section in the center aside from all the dumb skits. Among the band members over the years were two fabulous young banjo players: John Hartford and Larry MacNeely.

Campbell was an extremely popular session man over the years. Besides the Beach Boys, Sinatra and many others used his skills.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
When Campbell was at the top of his career in the late 60s everyone in my family became a huge fan. My Mom & Dad took me & my brothers to a Campbell concert in Shreveport in 1970. This was our first pop concert of any kind. My memories are vague, but I do remember stellar musicianship and having a rollicking good time. The man was (is) a great entertainer, accessible to all ages & tastes. I really don't think we have artists like that anymore. :frowning:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In the mid 60s Glen Campbell was a highly regarded session guitarist. That is what led him to be a Beach Boy for a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks