What's new

Gilmore Girls 2/17/04 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Another strong effort. The Palladinos have always liked to do a bait and switch, where it starts out funny and then about halfway through they hit you with a gut punch. They've sort of refined that technique here, with a very cheery teaser and goofy roommate stuff followed by escalating disaster.

I loved it, though - I really identified with Rory, who has always done everything well, suddenly finding in college that she's not the smartest kid on the block any more, and for the first time really finding that she does, in fact, have limitations. And Lorelei's situation was a good parallel; when you're in over your head, there comes a point where everything seems to go wrong at once, when actually it's just you being pushed past what you can handle.

Good use of Marion Ross, too. I don't think she acted markedly different this time, but the situation was tense enough that what had before looked sort of funny - she does to Emily what Emily does to Lorelei - now looked outright cruel. The lunch scene also brought out the best in Edward Herrmann; I love how Richard never quite seems to know what to make of his daughter, and often seems vaguely disapproving, but becomes ferocious as soon as someone attacks her.

All that and Lane starting to look a little less sympathetic, but still mostly likable and interesting, too. Amy & Dan can sure pack a lot into one hour of TV.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It was a good hour, and I found the parallel between Loralai and rory kind of interesting.

Each of them got a little comfort in a recently married man, both of which are maybe attracted to (Rory still, and Loralai maybe a little always...).

I hope they don't play up the Rory breaking up Dean and his wife thing.

Paris getting upset about the professor was kind of interesting, and I wonder where that's going to go. I'm just happy we've been able to avoid any post-coital scenes of the two of them reading a newspaper in bed, or something similar (:eek: yuck! **shudders**

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I saw both Palladino's listed as the writers for this episode, I knew the dialogue would be amped up, and I wasn't let down. They must write almost twice as much dialogue than the average 44 minute script.

I still think Jason is just Lorelai marking time, sure, they riff off each other, but I don't quite see the spark between them. Still hate the insipid Luke/Nicole union to death, but I fear the Palladino's are wary of the "Moonlighting" effect and won't have Luke and Lorelai hook up until the very end of the series.

I was more empathetic with Lorelai's situation with the inn, than Rory's scholastic woes. The former can wreck you financially, the latter just delays the inevitable (a Yale degree).

Trixie always unnerving Emily is fun to watch, good to see Richard standing up to Trixie. Hate the moustache on Richard, though.

Where else on TV are we going to get a fun pop-cultural reference to Monster, or Gulliver's Travels?

Everwood does the parallel storylines to death, but in Gilmore Girls, the storylines pack more of a punch. Maybe it's the play-like nature of the dialogue in the bantering and the nervous breakdown sobbing.

I enjoyed the athletic roommate giving Paris as good as Paris was dishing out. The other roommate with the soldering iron is the scary, meek one.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I thought it was brilliant how the writers showed the strength and importance of the Lorelai/Rory bond. When they couldn't hook up for a conversation, their respective problems became almost unbearable for them.

Loved the comments on Richard's moustache:
Trix: "It makes you look like Adolphe Menjou."
Emily: "Or Adolphe Menjou's cocaine dealer."
:laugh:

Rob

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Great episode. Loved every minute of it. I especially loved that both Rory and Lorelai broke down after going days without speaking to eachother. We never see them break down like that, but without eachother they're lost.

Pete Little

Auditioning
I've been a fan of this wonderful gem of a show since accidently catching an episode a couple years back. Bless the WB for running GG "Beginnings" so I could catch up.

Anyone know how to get an e-mail of appreciation to the hugely talented Palladinos?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks