What's new

Giants - 49ers game: unwatchable on 16:9 RPTV (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
Did anyone else find themselves unable to watch the game on ESPN last night? I've got a Pioneer SD-533HD5 53" widescreen TV and the wide shots of the game action were unwatchable. The Pioneer has a great line doubler and (in my opinion) the best stretch modes of any RPTV, yet the image was so blurred during action sequences that I couldn't watch the game. Close-ups after the play looked great, but during play it was like I was watching one of the old 4:3 rptv's from 1990.

Is this bad quality being broadcast by ESPN? Is Comcast Digital Cable compressing signals to the point that they are unwatchable? What's the deal? Surely I'm not the only one???

-Tim

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't notice any bluring on my 32" 4:3 Sony, but I had a different problem with the broadcast...
The pixelation and picture freezing (near the end of the game at least) on DirecTv was absolutely horrible - making the game almost unwatchable.
I watched many of the Little League World Seris games on ESPN(2) a few weeks ago and saw NO pixelation, so I hope last nite was not indicitive of how the whole season of football is going to look on ESPN. And the games on NFL Sunday Ticket sure as hell better not look like this or I'll be insisting on getting my 170 bucks back!!! :angry:
Did anyone else notice this?!?
Rob

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched last night's game on my 56-inch Toshiba 16x9 set. The picture quality was as good as anything else I watch via analog cable TV (I do not have "digital" cable). I would guess that it is compression on your digital cable transmission.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I have a 40 inch Toshiba 16:9. The shots from the overhead "flying" camera were noticably lowr quality than views from oter cameras. Overall it wasn't too bad though.

John Chevalier

Stunt Coordinator
I also experienced mucho problems with my cable watching that game. I have time warner and it's like horrible quality. I really with I had other options, but i live in an apartment that faces north, do i cant put a dish on my balcony. I cant wait to get a house!!

Jon Teddlie

Stunt Coordinator
And the games on NFL Sunday Ticket sure as hell better not look like this or I'll be insisting on getting my 170 bucks back!!!
Rob, you may as well call directv today because on my Mitsubishi WS-65819 the sunday ticket looks awful. I still subscribe because I'm an NFL junkie but it looks very similar to what we saw on ESPN Thursday night:angry:

Sheldon C

Second Unit
How far do you guys sit from your tv's? I'm thinking about getting a 65 rptv and am hoping that sitting further away would help things.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I didn't really notice any difference in Thurs night's game. The quality wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. With NFL Sunday Ticket there's always a vast range of quality between the different games with none of them exceptional and most poor. I'm also a football junkie and have to have my NFL Sunday Ticket. It's the only way that I get to watch the Steelers every week.

BTW, the Miami vs. Florida game today looked magnificent in HDTV. They should be broadcasting all of the NFL games in HDTV also.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I thought it looked bad on my 53" pioneer elite with TWC HD box.
I have been thinking of getting one of those free direct tv installs just so i can get the nfl ppv. But I just can't justify the expence if it is going to look bad. :frowning:

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Most of the games looked pretty crappy today through the NFL Sunday Ticket. The quality was much higher on my second TV that I use for picking up local games via a RS bow tie antenna. :frowning:

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
On Dish network, Thursday's game was bad, but last nights was worse..picture was way way too bright (especially for jones;) , actually games on fox channels on dish yesterday looked better than local(?) fox channel...cbs games looked alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks