What's new

Giant in 2003? (1 Viewer)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
thedigitalbits shows Giant as a TBD on their coverscan pagees. Is this title going to see the light of day in 2003?
Joel

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It looks like WB is having Lowry Digital Images digitally restore the film for DVD.

The "restoration" was OK, but every shot with a transition looks like crap. The LDI one should make the video at least look great.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I don't think the transfer of the Canadian DVD of Giant is that bad. We are just spoiled by the transfer of recent movies... Remember this movie is from the mid 50's
JC

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I still have a sealed copy of the Canadian version, so I haven't watched it. I have no idea how much it goes for these days, or what the transfer quality is like.
I would most likely purchase the upcoming disc, which is said to have a far superior film transfer. I'll just hang onto this old one and keep it archived. :)
Jason

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
Rain:
No offense taken... But I will have to send you the bill from my psychiatrist... I think I will need counseling!
After your reply, I went and popped the movie in my dvd player. The picture is quite soft, and there are quite a few scratches, but as I said before, this is an old movie. We are now used to see Monsters Inc and Toy Story, and start judging every release by these standards. I know there are examples of old movies going thru restorations with great results (North by Northwest comes to mind), so I see you have a point. But sometimes I rather have a crappy copy of the movie that no movie at all (like in the case of The Name of the Rose... scratches and all, I am happy I have the DVD).
:D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well, I'll agree that the existing disc is better than nothing.

But bring on the SE!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason,
If I was you, I'll be selling that bad boy before Warner announces a 2003 release date!:)
Crawdaddy

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
$200?

Zowie, I could use some money right about now.

That would be a fair chunk for a DVD I paid less than $20 for.

Juan C Toro

Stunt Coordinator
$200!
Who wants to take my copy off my hands...
Make your best offer.
And by the way: I checked the link to e-bay, and the seller claims the DVD is sealed. But those shrinkwrap corners look very photoshop-ish to me!
JC

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's easy enough to re-shrink wrap something. It's not entirely ethical if it's not really new, but it can be done.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
I checked the link to e-bay, and the seller claims the DVD is sealed. But those shrinkwrap corners look very photoshop-ish to me!
If you look closely towards the top of the cover, you can see the outline of the "top spine" sticker. (You know, the clear plastic label with the title and UPC code that they attach to the outside top of Snapper cases to make sorting easier).

Of course, that assumes that he's using an original photo and not one scarfed from another auction.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I haggled at Ebay for Giant. I got up to $75.00 and then the dang thing closed and no one got that badboy. Now it's time to simply wait for Warner to put out a superior edition. If I owned the Canadian edition - I'd sell it NOW, sealed or unsealed - I'd sell it. Even if you only get $50 for it, it will be worth it.
$200.00 though... act sharp! ;)
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks