What's new

Gamespot Gives Metroid Prime 2 a 9.1 (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Check the review out here.

Something of a weak review, it seemed very rushed to be the first one to hit the net. Only a paltry two pages long? that said, while short on specifics, the general sensation was that this game is a massive step above the original Prime, with far more thought being put into the gameplay and trying to balance a full arsenal of abilities. In addition, it sounds like the light/dark balance will be accomplished better then any game to date. My biggest beef with both Zelda LttP and OoT was that the fact that while both took place in two worlds that mirrored each other but were still different, that dynamic wasn't used nearly enough. Echoes seems to take that premise and run with it in a way that hasn't been done before and looks to be so much the better for it.

All in all, looks like that other big first person game this November might be worth its hype as well. I definitely cant' wait for my pre-order to arrive next week.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one as well, since I thought that MP was probably the best game of 2002 (it was 02, right?). Still, it'll have to share time with Halo 2, but at least the cube and the Xbox are on different TV inputs...

The real question is, is Metroid Prime 2 twice as derivative as the original, or it it just accellerated? :)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
IGN has their review up: 9.5.

Here is a brief excerpt from the 'Closing Comments':
In short, if you enjoyed the first Gamecube installment, you will likely enjoy the sequel.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Wow, that's pretty positive review! Mine's already paid for, and I'll be in line when GS opens on monday!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Shipped today, and comes out tomorrow. Who else besides me is picking this up? Or are people just too busy with Halo 2 and GTA:SA?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Thought I'd toss out a few unrequested early impressions.

First, it definitely doesn't fall far from Prime 1. If you didn't like that game, nothing about it will change your mind. The controls are identical, the gameplay is very similar, you still get the story (and most of your other information) by scanning everything, and exploration is still the emphasis over combat (although there are numerous combat sequences that get very very intense).

That said, if you enjoyed the first, as long as you don't mind more of the same, you'll get that much and more out of the second. The pace is much slower then the first. You earn every item you get. Unlike the first, that stripped you naked and by the end of the first world restored everything but the grapple beam to you and then some, you're still missing quite a few items by the time you've beat the first major section of the game in Echoes. However, that's somewhat offset by instead bumping up lots of the new items so you're seeing the differences right off the bat. Speaking of which, the new items are well done. I initially wasn't sure about having limited ammo for the beam weapons, and truth be told I'd like another beam beyond the power beam that didn't require ammo, but it does add a nice level of resource management that gives a nice strategic element to things.

Graphically, the style is very similar to the first, although even more refined. It's not a massive change, and the overall style is unquestionably in the feel of MP, but there have been numerous improvement. Detail level is higher, rooms are more complex in their geometry, texture detail is improved, and other slight but still noticeable improvements. In addition, the superfluous but immersive little touches like the water on the visor are still there, with numerous other similar enhancements. Sand cascades, a use for bright lighting other then lens flare, and other small details add to an incredibly high level of polish.

The Dark World dynamic so far has been very well done. There have been numerous very clever interplays between the two, both in events in one affecting the other and the similar geographies working as something of a map. Knowing a room exists in both dimensions but having to balance different entrances and routes to get there makes for a great experience. THIS is dual worlds done right, in a way that Zelda Link to the Past never really did for me.

The one thing that might rub people the wrong way is while gameplay remains "Metroid," the story line veers off. there's some decent allusions to the first game, and both Space Pirates and Metroids make appearances, the story is decidedly not about either. They're side items that make for fun information (especially reading some of the SP log entries about you), but this game largely revolves around the battles between the Ing and the Luminoth. Myself? I welcome the change. Samus is a bounty hunter for more then just Space Pirates, and the universe is a lot bigger then they are. In addition, I think the different emphasis on the story line has allowed Retro to create a world that is more cohesive and a story that works very well. The various sections of Tallon IV never felt connected to me, they were just the water level, the jungle level, the fire level, the ice level, the desert level, and the industrial level. Aether, even divided in two as it is, fits together far better.

So all in all, thus far (about halfway through the game), it's definitely a worthy successor to Prime. It doesn't break much new ground at all, but what is there is honed and refined to near perfection. While MP was one of the most polished games I've ever played thus far, Echoes takes this up substantially further, making Prime seem almost coarse in comparison. And the parts that are new, such as the suit upgrades and new items, are done very well indeed and are definitely up to the level of the rest of the game. It's still to early to say for sure, but I think while if I were reviewing I'd score the game lower then the original Prime just for the comparative lack of originality, I also think that I am going to find this to be the superior game and a more enjoyable adventure. It's a shame it's not getting any love here on the HTF, because it is truly an incredible experience thus far, quite possibly my fav game this generation of consoles.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'm looking forward to picking up MP2. I've been meaning to for a week, but haven't gotten the chance. I loved MP1, so if it's just more of the same, then I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks