What's new

FujiFilm CD-R quality? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
so i usually stick with fujifilm cd-rs. you know...the ones with the screw on top. well i go to best buy to pick up some more and they have a 50 pack with the screw on top and discs that have different colored label sides. they also have a 50 pack with the normal non-colored discs in a new twist-open spindle. sorry if i spell this wrong...but do both have Taiyo Fuden discs? thanks...

Brett_H

Second Unit
Jason,

If a package says "Made in Japan", then it's most likely Taiyo Yuden (sp?). If it says "Made in xxx" (anywhere else), there's not much way of telling who makes it other than using a CD identification program, which of course means buying the discs to find out...

I make it a point to buy (non flashy colored, and green on the recording side) discs that say "Made in Japan" on them. I seem to have the most luck with durability, compatibility, and "trade-ability" with those.

-Brett.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I make it a point to buy (non flashy colored, and green on the recording side) discs that say "Made in Japan" on them.
Admit it. You're just a Japan-o-phile at heart. :D
A while ago I unknowingly bought CD-Rs that were clearly not "brand name" and probably weren't legitimate, but they worked fine. On the other hand, I've purchased "pure silver" discs from one of the top 5 CD-R manufacturers and they simply would not work in my HP combo CD-R/DVD-ROM drive, but they worked fine in my other CD-R drive. So, the compatibility of the drive is also an issue.
A really important factor is (or at least used to be) the chemical involved in making the disc. Different chemicals result in different colors, and I've run into a lot of issues where discs of a certain color would work fine but others were more reluctant to work properly. Or the the disc would write fine but not read on other readers. (I know that blue discs for a long time would not work in standard audio CD players, but they worked fine on most PCs.)
Fuji manufactures their own CDs - they do not use Taiyo Yuden - using a cyanine dye, so it might be that your drive simply likes discs of that chemical; however, there are at least 10 other companies (Taiyo Yuden being one of them) that also use that dye to manufacture their discs, so there is no reason to think that theirs will be of lesser quality.
You can get more information on this at the link below:
http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_dye.shtml

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
wow thanks.....i ended up buying a 50 pack of the colored kind and a 50 pack of the regular kind. they both seem to be manufactured in japan and are similiar in dye color and other visual characteristics (the slightly opaque inner ring)....both work fine

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Just as general rule of thumb, Fuji's are one of the best CD-Rs out there. You'll always see hot deals on fatwallet and anandtech for them, since everyone keeps their eye out for them.
A few telltale signs are: 1.) most obviously, the "made in Japan" 2.) The chemical dye that is used, but this is more discrete and 3.) Most TY spindles are topped off with the screw top, and not the normal spindle cap that comes off entirely.
If that made any sense. ;) A lot of information can always be found at www.cdrinfo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks