What's new

Fritz Lang’s DIE NIEBELUNGEN (1924) - coming soon on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I’ve just found this great piece of news on the Kino On Video website:
http://www.kino.com/video/videoframe.html
A Special Edition 2-Disc set of Fritz Lang’s DIE NIEBELUNGEN (1924) – to be released on 11/19/02. Awesome!
I’ve been wanting to watch this classic silent two-part epic for ages. Thankfully, Kino have apparently managed to get the full-length version run at the correct speed. The supplementary material seems quite interesting as well.
Let’s hope now that the rumored Kino Special Editions of Fritz Lang’s SPIES (1928), THE WOMAN IN THE MOON (1929) and LILIOM (1933) are not too far behind.
We need more Fritz Lang! We need more Silent Films on DVD!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Very cool. Now if Kino would just put out Les Yeux sans Visage (Eyes without a Face) on DVD! A wild movie.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

I cannot quite grasp the connection. Perhaps you are alluding to the fact that Kino has released EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1959) on VHS in the past? In any case, it is one of my most wanted films on DVD as well. It would be nice to be able to replace my PAL VHS copy, released by the British Film Institute, which I have watched a number of times.

In fact, what I would really like to see is a Franju DVD box set with the following titles, LA TETE CONTRE LE MUR (1958), EYES WITHOUT A FACE and JUDEX (1963), and a separate disc featuring some of the director's celebrated shorts, among them LE SANG DES BETES (1949), HOTEL DES INVALIDES (1951) and LE GRANDE MELIES (1952). I would say a box set of this kind would be ideal fare for Criterion to handle.

Unfortunately, apart from EYES, the only other Franju film I have watched is LA FAUTE DE L' ABBE` MOURET (1970), which was interesting in itself but, perhaps, not in the same league as his classic 1959 shocker. On the other hand, I have read nothing but positive comments about the other Franju films I have mentioned, so I do hope somebody eventually gives them the treatment they so richly deserve!

Apparently, Franju was a devout admirer of Louis Feuillade's classic serials of the silent era. He not only remade his JUDEX, but he also interviewed Marcel Allain (one of the original creators of the FANTOMAS character). Some segments of this filmed interview (alas, in French only) can be found on the splendid Limited Edition 2-Disc set of Feuillade’s FANTOMAS on Region 2 DVD.

Which brings us back to Fritz Lang and DIE NIEBELUNGEN. I'm quite disappointed that very few people seem to be as enthusiastic about this release as I am!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy to see a DVD release of this Lang classic. I had a chance many yrs ago to buy an Image Entertainment LD of this film. I did not buy it & have regretted it ever since. I am a huge fan of Lang's & I buy his silents when ever I can. This will join my collection of Lang films. I can hardly wait for "Metropolis" also. ;) ;)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'll buy a copy. I wouldn't say I'm "excited" but I'll buy a copy. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I'm kinda excited. I've always wanted to see it, but my wallet is already taking a beating...

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

"Afraid I've not seen any of his other films, though have heard of BLOOD OF THE BEASTS (I believe that's the title), his anti-slaughterhouse film. Is this one of the ones you mentioned? (My french ain't too great-in fact it's pretty nonexistent!)"

As a matter of fact, it is one of the films I've mentioned, LE SANG DES BETES (1949).

Quote:

"Just ordered the 'German Horror Classics' box set, and haven't seen THE GOLEM or WAXWORKS of them, so really looking forward to it."

Out of the four titles, the only one I haven't watched is WAXWORKS (1924), though the new versions of the other three are much longer than the ones I am used to watching! Even so, I still intend to buy the Image DVDs of THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (1919) and NOSFERATU (1922) for the alternate scores and the Audio Commentaries. It is regrettable, in fact, that Kino rarely do commentaries for any of their releases - the only two I can think of at the moment are THE BLACK PIRATE (1926) and THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932).

By the way, Jim, where did you order this box set from and how much did you pay for them? Most retailers I usually use (Deep Discount DVD, DVD Box Office and DVD Empire) unfortunately do not stock them at all. I did write to Deep Discount about it, but to no avail!

Now I'm actually glad that I did not buy this 4-Disc set immediately - so I can purchase it along with the upcoming DIE NIEBELUNGEN (1924) 2-Disc set!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Indeed! Siegfried bathing in the blood of Fafner (I think) the dragon. First time I saw this still was in the pages of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine, though that beautiful sepia-tone reproduction is the best I've ever seen it look!
I've never seen the whole of these 2 films, though what I have seen, plus the stills and such, really make me want to.
Just ordered the German Horror Classics box set, and haven't seen The Golem or Waxworks of them, so really looking forward to it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Ah, Roderick my friend, let me introduce you to the DVD fans best friend on the net (besides HTF, of course!): DVD Price Search! This will tell you which retailers are selling a title and where you can get the best price.
http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dvdhtml2
I got the German Horror box set from bestprices.com for $65.29, shipped. Though I think grooviemovies.com had it for a tad cheaper, I was already a member at bestprices. Unlike deepdiscount, ya' gotta' pay shipping (sheesh!;)), but bestprices has a better selection than deepdiscount. Here's bestprices url:
http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink
Enjoy dude!

StevenA

Second Unit
I'm quite disappointed that very few people seem to be as enthusiastic about this release as I am!
Roderick,
I am one person who is equally as enthusiastic about this release, if not more so!!! :)
This has been one of my most anticipated titles ever since the DVD format was announced (!) Since hearing that Kino was to release it, I have been checking their site regularly, to see what they are releasing in general and mainly to see if there was any info on Die Nibelungen, but hadn't checked it for a couple of days. I saw your post just now and my heart skipped a beat!
Anyway, this release is more important to me than the upcoming new Metroplis disc, so thank you for bringing us the news!

StevenA

Second Unit
I'm presuming this is indeed at the correct frame rate, judging by the running time, although I couldn't find specific reference to the frame rate on the site.

GaryEA

Second Unit
DIE NIEBELUNGEN in the Fall.
METROPOLIS in early 2003.
This Lang fan is VERY excited! :emoji_thumbsup:
-g

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I thought "Spies" was to be released also. Another title I'm interested in is the 1933 "Testament of Dr. Mabuse".

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Another title I'm interested in is the 1933 "Testament of Dr. Mabuse".
Took the words right of my mouth. :)
I've only seen Lang's Mabuse, Metropolis, and M, and all three are great, so I'm also interested in Nibelungen. But a nice edition of Mabuse would indeed be great....

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Another title I'm interested in is the 1933 "Testament of Dr. Mabuse".
Isn't that already out on DVD from Image?
Speaking of which, I certainly hope they don't make the same mess with the title cards they did with Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler. The DVD has ugly "fake" title cards in English completely replacing the original German ones. Even worse, whenever text appears on screen (and I'm talking about during the film), they have English text superimposed on the film. Gross.
The only proper way to go with this type of this is to leave the original language title cars and translating via optional player generated subtitles.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Subtitles for foreign silent film dialogue cards. Hmmmmmm... Although I agree the orig. title cards might be interesting from a historical perspective that seems ...a little much. A good translation would be fine.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Subtitles for foreign silent film dialogue cards. Hmmmmmm... Although I agree the orig. title cards might be interesting from a historical perspective that seems ...a little much.
Why is that a "little much?" What is wrong with the desire to have the film preserved in as close to its original form as possible?

At the very least, they should not be doing the superimposing of English words on the actual film.

Maybe I'm not explaining this right. You'd probably have to see the DVD I'm referring to to know exactly what I mean.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The only proper way to go with this type of this is to leave the original language title cars and translating via optional player generated subtitles
I agree completely. While it will not keep me from buying a title, the most annoying thing about nice DVD's like Nosferatu and The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, is the fact that the inter-titles are not available in their original language.
Criterion doesn't do this on their silent foreign movies (Häxan, The Passion Of Joan Of Arc), which proves they fully respect the original work. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks