What's new

Frasier (2023) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You don’t think it would be weird to see Frasier and Lilith together after Niles and Lilith had their fling? I actually kinda liked that plot development because it helped both characters move on - Lilith to realize she wasn’t really into Frasier in that way anymore, and Niles to realize it was time to move beyond Maris. To me it feels like it would almost be a step backward to put Frasier and Lilith into a romantic relationship again.
No I don’t. I think it would bring a different dynamic to the show. And I’ve always enjoyed Lilith.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
In the 10th season episode Lilith Needs A Favor, she asks Frasier to donate sperm so she can have another child. Frasier comes to the conclusion that it isn’t right for him, and at the end of the episode he tells Martin that he hopes she can find what she’s looking for in her life. Seems to me that this episode is a closed door to their ever getting back together.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Paramount Press Release said:

PARAMOUNT+’S “FRASIER” STARTS PRODUCTION​

Frasier_Revival_S01_001.jpg

Frasier Crane Returns to Where It All Began for New Series

Legendary Director James Burrows to Direct First Two Episodes

New Series Produced by CBS Studios in Association with Grammnet NH Productions

Feb. 1, 2023 – Paramount+ today announced that the news series FRASIER, starring and executive produced by Kelsey Grammer, starts production this week. Shooting in front of a live studio audience in Los Angeles, the new series follows Frasier Crane (Grammer) in the next chapter of his life as he returns to Boston, Mass., with new challenges to face, new relationships to forge and an old dream or two to finally fulfill. Frasier has re-entered the building!

The first two episodes of the new series will be directed by legendary director and television creator James Burrows. Over his distinguished career, Burrows has been the recipient of 10 Emmys and five Directors Guild of America Awards, where he also holds the honor of being the most nominated director in the history of television. Burrows is best known for his work as co-creator, executive producer and director of the critically acclaimed series “Cheers.” His television work also includes hit series “Will & Grace,” the original series “Frasier,” “Friends,” “Wings,” “Night Court,” “Taxi” and “Dear John,” among others.

In addition to Grammer, the new series stars Jack Cutmore-Scott as Frasier’s son, Freddy; Nicholas Lyndhurst as Frasier’s old college buddy turned university professor, Alan; Toks Olagundoye as Alan’s colleague and head of the university psychology department, Olivia; Jess Salguerio as Freddy’s roommate, Eve; and Anders Keith as Frasier’s nephew, David.

FRASIER comes from writers Chris Harris (“How I Met Your Mother”) and Joe Cristalli (“Life in Pieces”), who executive produce with Kelsey Grammer, Tom Russo and Jordan McMahon. The series is produced by CBS Studios in association with Grammer’s Grammnet NH Productions.

About Paramount+

Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, combines live sports, breaking news and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world’s biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the U.S. in addition to the ability to stream CBS News Streaming Network for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis.

For more information about Paramount+, please visit www.paramountplus.com and follow @ParamountPlus on social platforms.

About CBS Studios

CBS Studios is one of the industry’s leading suppliers of programming with more than 70 series currently in production across broadcast and cable networks, streaming services and other emerging platforms. The Studio’s expansive portfolio spans a diverse slate of commercially successful and critically acclaimed scripted programming, genre-defining franchises including the ever-growing “Star Trek” universe, award-winning late night and daytime talk shows, and an extensive library of iconic intellectual property.

Paramount+ Press Contacts:

Morgan Seal – [email protected]

Yahnnica Tate – [email protected]

Magee Snyder – [email protected]

CBS Studios Press Contact:

Kacy Barrasas – [email protected]

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
No mention of DHP in that release, or Jane Leeves. I guess they will be guest stars, at best, due to Frasier returning to Boston. I don’t think it’s going to work.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No mention of DHP in that release, or Jane Leeves. I guess they will be guest stars, at best, due to Frasier returning to Boston. I don’t think it’s going to work.
David Hyde Pierce declined to participate, which basically also ruled out Daphne.

I was rooting for a whole new city, so this chapter of Frasier's life is as distinct from the original series as the original series was from "Cheers". The danger here is that we get Cheers-lite.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Based on what the press release says, I’m not sanguine about the revival. But I want to like it, so I hope it works. It will be tough to see a new Frasier series without the Frasier cast. And I guess Trevor Einhorn was not invited back to play Frederick.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't watch it since it's streaming, but I'm not really interested in a second go-round in Boston anyway. Like Adam, I would have been more interested in a completely new city/town. It might have been fun to see him interact with a rural surrounding, like an updated Green Acres.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
David Hyde Pierce declined to participate, which basically also ruled out Daphne.

I was rooting for a whole new city, so this chapter of Frasier's life is as distinct from the original series as the original series was from "Cheers". The danger here is that we get Cheers-lite.

I believe the story is that Mr. Pierce asked for a rather large payday for his involvement, they declined, and then rewrote because once he was out they felt no reason to bring back other old cast members. As I understand it, the other cast members were very disappointed.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I can't watch it since it's streaming, but I'm not really interested in a second go-round in Boston anyway. Like Adam, I would have been more interested in a completely new city/town. It might have been fun to see him interact with a rural surrounding, like an updated Green Acres.
After reading the list of characters it appears this will be set in a university. It’s the work environment that provides the difference. They could have left him in Seattle and done that though Boston makes for a biggger change.

I have observed, in my life at least, that friendships mainly based on work can fade away once that work connection is gone. That can easily justify the absence of the previous cast. I thank many of us will recognize that.

However, DHP, I wish you and Jane Leeves, at the very least we’re joining the show. I still think the choice of DHP was an all-time great casting choice.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I imagine that Frasier is in Boston so there's an easy reason for him to interact with Sam or Carla or Norm and Cliff again.
Interesting point. If the show falls a bit short on ratings, the writers can come up with ways to bring the Cheers guys back for a show or two.

I absolutely agree with Kevin that Laura Linney should be part of the show, no matter the city.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'm never a fan of revisiting the well twice. Wasn't it Stephen Leacock who once said "you can't go home." It's been almost 20 years since Frasier 'left the building'.

Without John Mahoney, it can't be the same show. And if Jane Leeves calls it quits, it won't even be in the same ballpark.

When Frasier left Cheers and Boston to begin anew in Seattle it was pretty much a total reset of everything except the character's core values. That worked - spectacularly, actually.

But if they're going to re-introduce Kelsey Grammer yet again as the 'same' character, I don't really think the show should be called Frasier, because that title is forever associated with the cast of sillies we came to know and love on that show.

Bringing back 'partial' casts has never worked in the past. Ditto for "the part of 'so and so' will be played by..."

Explaining 'dad's' passing will be the first hurdle for Frasier redux to conquer...if, in fact, it can. If it does, the show may actually have a chance to succeed. But those hoping to "go home" to a place where "everybody knows your name" may still be bitterly disappointed with the results. Just saying.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Like many sitcoms, the lead character is seldom what "makes" the show. It's usually the supporting characters. I loved "Frasier," but I don't think Kelsey Grammer/Frasier was the best part of the show. They'd need to find another great group of supporting characters in this new setting, as Frasier cannot carry the show by himself.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Like many sitcoms, the lead character is seldom what "makes" the show. It's usually the supporting characters. I loved "Frasier," but I don't think Kelsey Grammer/Frasier was the best part of the show. They'd need to find another great group of supporting characters in this new setting, as Frasier cannot carry the show by himself.
Yes Frasier took a back seat to both Niles and Martin in the original show.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I humbly disagree. Yes Frazier had a wealth of great characters and actors, but I don’t think Frazier took a back seat.
Yes maybe “took a back seat” was the wrong way to say it- maybe a better way is Niles and Martin had funnier lines, and were arguably better characters in the show.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched an old ep of Frazier the other day on one of the oldies channels and was surprised at how mean he was during a visit from Woody. Behind Woody’s back he complained about him and wished he didn’t have to continue seeing him.
I don’t remember how he acted around and behind Woody’s back on Cheers, maybe it was the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks