What's new

Fox's Collection of Bruce Lee DVDs are going OOP on 9/30/05 (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Oscar -
These will most likely be pretty much identical to the previously released IVL and Spectrum releases except Enter the Dragon will not be included.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

There is another version that didn't have the shirt and is much cheaper.

The Game of Death 2 DVD from Fox is identical to the IVL one in practically everyway except for an extra pre-menu which allows english or chinese menus.

Matt

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Matthew,

Thanks. After rereading the above info and catching the below quote:I looked up Game of Death II and it indeed is Anamophic with DD&DTS5.1. I'm just so glad their coming in anamorphic form. I've held off for years waiting to get Region 1 anamorphic versions of Bruce Lee movies. I hope the transfer rivals Fox's Magnificent Butcher transfer. Magnificent Butcher's transfer looks stunning (aside from a couple image color glitches). :)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Daryl -

I don't think you will be disappointed. If you've seen the Hong Kong Legends DVD's, the Fox ones look so much more film-like. Fox/Fortune Star don't really do digital restoration. They rely a lot more on the original fim elements looking good. The HKL versions of of the Fox movies are very smoothed out looking. It's a give and take. The Fox ones will show a little more print damage but overall the additional detail is worth it.

I don't have the HKL versions of these films any more for screenshot comparisons. I know from past releases like Magnificent Butcher, Eastern Condors, and In the Line of Duty 4 that Fox's detail has been much better.

Would anyone care for some screenshots from the Bruce Lee set?
If there's interest I will post some.

Matt

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
These will most likely have 5.1 and DTS Mandarin and Cantonese tracks as well as English. I wouldn't guarentee the mono tracks.
Some of these films were originally released in Mandarin. The current sets say "original cantonese" track for the mono tack when the original Mandarin would be more accurate.

Matt

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Ultimate Bruce Lee Set. is now up on Amazon for preorder on Oct. 18.

Anyone know what other features we can expect? I couldn't find anything on Fox's website (foxhome.com).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Anyone see any reviews for this yet? It's out in a few weeks. I'm really on the fence about getting it, as the previous set was the craps.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

For you maybe. I'll take a little smoothness over print damage anyday. Anyway as an owner of all the HKL Bruce Lee movies I would despute this smoothness. I've seen the comparisons of the HKL and FS versions and the only one that looks better to any degree is Big Boss which is a quite a bit sharper and the color is not as hot on the FS version.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

To each his own. I prefered the greater detail of the Fox/Fortune Star releases. I've done comparisons of all the Fox and Fortune Star releases that had HKL counterparts and I like the way the Fox/Fortune Star ones look better. They aren't perfect but they look much more like film. I also like that these are NTSC over PAL. Some of the fight scenes look too fast in the PAL format.

Matt

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Just 3 days from release, mines in da mail. Any R1 reviews yet? I haven't found any.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Like you say to each his own. I have no problem at all with the definition on the HKL versions. More than sharp enough for me. Nice clean prints. Plenty of extras. As for the speed up, you think I would of noticed this speed up after watching each of Bruce's movies over 100 times each at the cinema! Oh well

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Well, I got my boxset of Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection in the mail yesterday. The only viewing I have seen of Bruce Lee movies was on TV (all his films), old VHS tapes of The Chinese Connection (a.k.a Fists of Fury) and Fists of Fury (a.k.a The Big Boss) and I have the:

GoodTimes boxset release of: Bruce Lee - Martial Arts Madness (UPC: 18713-83014) that my two son bought for me as a gift. It includes both The Chinese Connection (a.k.a Fists of Fury) and Fists of Fury (a.k.a The Big Boss) in Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 (I forget they were anamorphic) along with The Legend of Bruce Lee and Bruce Lee: A Dragon Story in Full Frame 1.33:1 format and all mono audio. The video looks soft and yellowish with specks, scratches and slight graininess and the image is kinda shakey/jittery. I've never seen Fox's previous release and now OOP boxset.

I just compared the first 15 minutes of the Goodtimes boxset release Fists of Fury (a.k.a The Big Boss) to the first 15 minutes of Fox's new Bruce Lee Ultimate Collection release of The Big Boss and this new Fox release is definately a big improvement over my old Goodtimes release. It's clean, no yellowish look, not shakey/jittery the scratches and specks are gone and has more detail.

I'm very happy with my purchase of this new boxset. I've waited a long time (years) for this release. :D

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Daryl,

I was put off from buying the box when there was no mention of anamorphic widescreen on the outer cover, nor mention of Cantonese soundtracks. Are all of the movies anamorphic and do they contain the original language soundtracks?

Thanks,
Ted

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Ted,

I've only had an opertunity to check "The Big Boss" and it is Anamorphic with:

English: DD 5.1
English: DTS 5.1
Cantonese: DD 2.0 (appears to be 2.0 mono)
Mandarin: DD 2.0 (appears to be 2.0 mono)

And English only Subtitles.

The menu is very stylish and the video is beautiful. The screencaps of the menu's look just like These. And at the start of the dvd it also had a "Fortune - Star" distribution logo. BTW I have the R1 set.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Nowhere in town sells this set. That sucks, because I want the Bruce Lee movies uncut with Chinese tracks and English subtitles.

Are the English dubs the same cheesy ones from The Master Collection, or are they new? If they are different dubs, then it gives me a reason to keep The Master Collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks