What's new

Fox Announces Michael Shayne Mysteries Vol. 1 (1 Viewer)

Mark VH

Second Unit
DVD Times has details and artwork (which is fantastic):
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63767
I think Fox kind of painted themselves into a corner with those Chan and Moto sets regarding packaging (having to model volume 2 of both after the original one-film-per-disc packaging in vol. 1), but it's good to see they're listening to the fans and changing up their style with regards to the Shayne series. Two discs, two films per disc, $29.98 MSRP (meaning cheaper online).

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
Thanks Mark. I know what I'll be watching on March 20th.
According to http://www.thrillingdetective.com/shaynemike.html
this is the list of Michael Shayne movies, with Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC) releasing the last five:
MICHAEL SHAYNE, PRIVATE DETECTIVE
(1940, 20th Century Fox)
77 minutes
Based on by Dividend on Death by Brett Halliday
Screenplay: Stanley Rauh and Manning O'Connor
Directed by Eugene Forde
Starring Lloyd Nolan as MICHAEL SHAYNE
Also starring Marjorie Weaver, Joan Valerie, Walter Abel, Elizabeth Patterson, Donald MacBride
SLEEPER'S WEST
(1941, 20th Century Fox)
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday and Sleeper's East by Frederick Nebel
Also starring Mary Beth Hughes
DRESSED TO KILL
(1941, 20th Century Fox)
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday and Death Takes No Bows by Richard Burke
Screenplay by Stanley Rauh, Manning O'Connor
Directed by Eugene Forde
Also starring William Demarest, Mary Beth Hughes
BLUE, WHITE AND PERFECT
(1941, 20th Century Fox)
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday and an old pulp novel by Borden Chase
Screenplay by Samuel G. Engel
Directed by Herbert I. Leeds
Also starring Mary Beth Hughes
THE MAN WHO WOULDN'T DIE
(1942, 20th Century Fox)
65 minutes
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday and No Coffin for the Corpse by Clayton Rawson
Also starring Marjorie Weaver, Helene Reynolds, Henry Wilcoxon
JUST OFF BROADWAY
(1942, 20th Century Fox)
66 minutes
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday
Also starring Marjorie Weavers, Phil Silvers, Janis Carter
TIME TO KILL
(1942, 20th Century Fox)
61 minutes
Based on characters created by Brett Halliday and The High Window by Raymond Chandler
Screenplay by Clarence Upsom Young
Produced by Sol M. Wurtzel
Also starring Heather Angel, Doris Merrick, Ralph Byrd, Richard Lane, Sheila Bromley, Morris Ankrum
MURDER IS MY BUSINESS
(1946, PRC)
64 minutes
Directed by Sam Newfield
Starring Hugh Beaumont as MICHAEL SHAYNE
Also starring Lyle Talbot, Pierre Watkin, Cheryl Walker, George Meeker
LARCENCY IN HER HEART
(1946, PRC)
BLONDE FOR A DAY
(1946, PRC)
THREE ON A TICKET
(1947, PRC)
TOO MANY WINNERS
(1947, PRC)
Starring Hugh Beaumont as MICHAEL SHAYNE .

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I've seen Sleepers West and Blue White and Perfect. Fun little programers!

I'm greatly looking forward to this set.

I remember at the time, I even thought Sleepers was more enjoyable than Narrow Margin, though I don't know if I would still feel the same way today.

_________

just saw the cover art to this- SUPERB! the likenesses aren't great for Nolan or Hughes, but McGuiness is a great illustrator and his presence makes this jacket art unique. I wonder if, given the hairstyle on the girl, this wasn't intended for a paperback cover for a 60s re-issue? Anyways, kudos to Fox on this one.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Beaver has a very positive review of this set up. Hopefully my copy will arrive this weekend. The handful of Shaynes I've seen have been quite enjoyable and I look forward to watching this set, particularly with their strong A/V presentations.
Thanks to Fox for the lower price (I paid about $20 for these 4 films) and for using double features/slim cases.
Hopefully there will be a Vol 2 with JUST OFF BROADWAY and TIME TO KILL to complete the series. The single disc DRESSED TO KILL that Fox issued a couple of years ago is also quite good.
Steve

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Seems kinda strange, though, to release a Volume 2 with just two films. Maybe they will add "Dressed to Kill" to the set. Or is there anything else Fox could use to fill it out?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It does seem strange that Fox wouldn't just add a third disc to round out the collection.
There has been some speculation that the later Shaynes, starring Hugh "Ward Cleaver" Beaumont could somehow be included. My inclination is that is not a likely scenario given that these were produced by poverty row PRC and are generally considered to be terrible films (although I've yet to see one).
My concern is whether there will be a Vol 2. (A) Vol 1 is being released with virtually no publicity and (B) TIME TO KILL is based on the same story that BRASHER DOUBLOON is. The latter is known to have rights problems.
Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Shayne Vol 1 arrived yesterday and from what I've been able to sample, the transfers do look very sharp. I've also watched the first bonus feature, a history on the character, and it was very well done. I presume it was done by John Cork, who did the features for the Chan/Moto sets, since it has the same "feel".
Lloyd Nolan is a very appealing actor and the Shayne films I've seen before have been highly entertaining so I look forward to seeing first rate copies of these films for the first time.
I also must commend Fox on the packaging. 4 films on two discs in slimline packaging with attractive cover art and liner notes. This collection is about half the size of one of Fox's 4 DVD collections and half the price but with all of the quality intact. Great job Fox!
Steve

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Steve...O said:
Shayne Vol 1 arrived yesterday and from what I've been able to sample, the transfers do look very sharp. I've also watched the first bonus feature, a history on the character, and it was very well done. I presume it was done by John Cork, who did the features for the Chan/Moto sets, since it has the same "feel".
Lloyd Nolan is a very appealing actor and the Shayne films I've seen before have been highly entertaining so I look forward to seeing first rate copies of these films for the first time.
I also must commend Fox on the packaging. 4 films on two discs in slimline packaging with attractive cover art and liner notes. This collection is about half the size of one of Fox's 4 DVD collections and half the price but with all of the quality intact. Great job Fox!
Steve
I'm glad to hear that. Mine should be getting here later today.
In addition to the PRC Shaynes, I'd like to see the 1960-61 TV series issued in decent transfers.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Totally agree Steve-o, I got my copy today BEST BUY in my area was only supposed to get 3 copies. I got there at 10am sharp and gabbed it right away! Fox deserves kudos, they are listening to their customers big time. And the customers like you and many other are responding. I hope they will listen to our comments on THE GANG'S ALL HERE if they do not want to redo the one disc then they should put the correct wonderfully saturated version as a supplement on another FAYE box!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I'm very pleased with the way these films look, and pleasantly surprised with the quality of the extras. The background information about the Shayne character, the discussion about Brett Halliday/Davis Dresser, and the experts talking about how Fox brought the character to the screen are entertaining and informative.

I've been a Shayne fan since I started reading the books when I was a kid, and I have to admit that I never through I'd see the day when there would be legitimate releases of the Shayne films.

Well done, Fox!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Richard Gallagher said:
Well done, Fox!
Absolutely! I finished the set last night and it gets high marks all the way. These are 4 very entertaining films and I just love the supporting casts. If there is a more visually appealing combination of feminine co-leads than Lynn Bari and Mary Beth Hughes (reference SLEEPERS WEST) I haven't seen it yet.
The budget price of this set does not mean Fox skimped on the restorations or features. They didn't. Other than the switch to double features and slim cases, there really isn't anything different than the $60 MSRP sets.
RobertGr - I believe you have contacts at the studio. Please relay our collective appreciation for this set and a sincere hope that there will be a Volume 2!
Steve

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hey Steve-O

Totally agree on you and all the other posters about the awesome job done on the Mike Shayne set. It has to rank as one of the best sets to date, the stars in the heavens all lined up nicely on this.

They are

* Fox restoring their wonderful film treasures and responding to consumers requests for the classics and and a better price point.

* Consumers like us responding big time by buying this great stuff

* Michael Shayne Collection that features 4 fun films from the glory days of the "B" movies and some great little extras!

How do we get more of these great sets simple, support the studio when they come through as they have done on this title!

I for one will pass "our" enthusiasm to my friends at FOX!

Bravo to Mr. Feldstein and the entire crew you guys really rock!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I agree that Fox did a great job with this set. I love the packaging, and a great job with the content all for a good price. I like it better than the Chan/Moto sets, and I really look forward to more like this!
The only issue I have is that I'd prefer the movies on single-sided discs.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Steve...O said:
I also must commend Fox on the packaging. 4 films on two discs in slimline packaging with attractive cover art and liner notes.
The packaging is fine, but dual-layered discs would have been preferable to dual-sided discs. Any idea as to why it was done that way?
---------------

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
ScottHM said:
is fine, but dual-layered discs would have been preferable to dual-sided discs. Any idea as to why it was done that way?
---------------
Total speculation on my part, but I would say cost. A double sided disc is reportedly cheaper than a dual layer disc. I also would prefer a dual layer disc, but at least I've never had an issue with a Fox flipper and they do treat us to high bit rate transfers. If this were Universal this would be more of a concern.
Steve

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Steve...O said:
A double sided disc is reportedly cheaper than a dual layer disc.
I didn't know that, though I was beginning to suspect as much.
---------------

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Some really disappointing news in Movie Irv's column at MoviesUnlimited:
Word from Fox is that the Michael Shayne set “underperformed” in terms of overall sales, and we’ll not likely see another one for some time. Too bad, because we felt our customers would have a strong interest in the Shayne flicks, and our own sales totals on the set ultimately reflected that.
There is some cruel irony in this. Fox priced this set very inexpensively and did a great job with the presentation and features, but it still didn't find its audience. But some of their $60 MSRP sets did well enough to get a Vol 2.
Steve

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This is so cool!
I had no idea these were adapted into films, I have over a dozen original Brett Halliday Mike Shayne pulps from the 40's/50's, including... Dressed To Kill, Dividend On Death, Murder and the Married Virgin, The Uncomplaining Corpse, Murder and the Wanton Bride, Date with a Dead Man, Dolls are Deadly, Pay-Off in Blood, This Is It Michael Shayne, Weep for a Blonde, So Lush So Deadly, etc.
I had no idea about this release!
Are these any good??
Are they matinee serials, feature films, TV films, b-movies?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
MarcoBiscotti said:
This is so cool!
I had no idea these were adapted into films, I have over a dozen original Brett Halliday Mike Shayne pulps from the 40's/50's, including... Dressed To Kill, Dividend On Death, Murder and the Married Virgin, The Uncomplaining Corpse, Murder and the Wanton Bride, Date with a Dead Man, Dolls are Deadly, Pay-Off in Blood, This Is It Michael Shayne, Weep for a Blonde, So Lush So Deadly, etc.
I had no idea about this release!
Are these any good??
Are they matinee serials, feature films, TV films, b-movies?
Yes, they are very good, in my opinion. They are B-movies but still benefit from Fox's production values and a good stable of character actors from the Fox roster. Ira's post above provides more detail about the individual films. Sleepers West has both Mary Beth Hughes and Lynn Bari. That alone justifies buying the set
The box set can be had now for about $18 during DDD's 20% off sale. Who knows, maybe if enough people pick it up during the sale, the numbers will improve enough to warrant the other films being released. :D
Steve

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the set immensely, and I'm sorry to hear it might not have done too well. The films were great fun (although the first one perhaps had a few too many twists and turns, giving me a headache). Fox has been doing so nicely mining their catalog lately, and serving up some terrific extras, so I always hope these things at least pay off in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks