What's new

Foreign Correspondent Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This thread has veered way off topic now. Please resume discussing Hitchcock and this film now. :cool:

So, it would be interesting to see Hitchcock's first choice Gary Cooper in the lead role.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There isn't too much to say until we get the disc now Mikey, so why not have a natural conversational progression in the meantime? That's one of the great things about HTF is that the meandering conversations aren't whipped into line like on some other forums.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Moe Dickstein said:
There isn't too much to say until we get the disc now Mikey, so why not have a natural conversational progression in the meantime? That's one of the great things about HTF is that the meandering conversations aren't whipped into line like on some other forums.
Yeah, I guess you're right about that. OK, so since you mentioned you collect all of Criterion's releases (which must get expensive) so there's no gaps in the numbers on the spine. What's funny is I rarely even notice there is a number on the spine. I do like the way they look with the matching spines, though.

Well, I naturally collect films I will watch at least annually. The Bond series, all Hitchcock titles of course, Kubrick films. I have bought and then sold many blu-rays since I realize I watched it only once in a few years. Plus I don't have have the room!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's the plus to living alone. I have a large percentage of wall space devoted to floor to ceiling IVAR shelves from IKEA. The top half holds the Criterions, the middle Blus and the bottom Laserdiscs, I have another unit at a 90degree angle that holds the DVDs and some paperbacks. When I was in my teens and was getting into LDs, I had the 94 Criterion catalog that had all their releases with color pictures and details, pre-web it was something I pored over and dreamed of being able to own them all, one day I realized I could, so why not? Took me about 14 months to do all the DVD/Blus (started with about 10) and I've got 70 of the LDs now, out of 322 released titles, so a few more years (lasers are harder to track down for a reasonable price) and I'll have them all.One you should know of if you don't is the CC Laser of Blackmail. It's got a commentary with the films writer who was something like 90 when it was recorded. Also some of the original sound tests for the film. Shame Studio Canal owns it so we won't see a Criterion re-issue.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I understand the collecting/completeness mentality. I don't believe I 'suffer' from it (despite my love for Fred Astaire, I don't think I'll ever own a copy of Let's Dance).But I rarely buy films that I don't intend to rewatch over and over. The few exceptions are box sets, I ended up selling off more than half of the Hitchcock box, and will be selling one of the David Lean's (anybody want Superman III &IV :) )But my collection is approaching 500, which puts me on a minimum three year rotation.What I can't comprehend are blind-buyers and those with 5000 titles (with 1000 not watched or unwrapped)Anyway, that is my two-cents. Can't wait until February. Already pre-ordered. And waiting for Young And Innocent

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
There are lots of movies I own I'll never look at completely again, but the other use they are to me is reference. It's a reason that certain directors I try to have complete or certain films I want to be able to refer to, when I'm having a meeting with a filmmaking collaborator it's good to be able to pop in 20 or 30 discs in a row just to check out a moment of performance or a shot or something. That's the biggest value of the large library for me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Moe Dickstein said:
That's the plus to living alone. I have a large percentage of wall space devoted to floor to ceiling IVAR shelves from IKEA. The top half holds the Criterions, the middle Blus and the bottom Laserdiscs, I have another unit at a 90degree angle that holds the DVDs and some paperbacks. When I was in my teens and was getting into LDs, I had the 94 Criterion catalog that had all their releases with color pictures and details, pre-web it was something I pored over and dreamed of being able to own them all, one day I realized I could, so why not? Took me about 14 months to do all the DVD/Blus (started with about 10) and I've got 70 of the LDs now, out of 322 released titles, so a few more years (lasers are harder to track down for a reasonable price) and I'll have them all.One you should know of if you don't is the CC Laser of Blackmail. It's got a commentary with the films writer who was something like 90 when it was recorded. Also some of the original sound tests for the film. Shame Studio Canal owns it so we won't see a Criterion re-issue.
My respect for just grows.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I'm sorry to have made this thread into something else, but someone telling me I wazs stupid for collecting a certain type of movie and that I'm crazy for not liking Japanese cinema just made me really mad.

We resume now to our regularly discussed Hitchcock.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
battlebeast said:
I'm sorry to have made this thread into something else, but someone telling me I wazs stupid for collecting a certain type of movie and that I'm crazy for not liking Japanese cinema just made me really mad.

I think we all agree 'to each his own'. I have tried to like certain 'classics' of foreign cinema and often times I just don't get it. Some are pretty good films, but not something I'd watch again. Some I have to keep hitting the ff button to see if anything happens. I really like the Three Colors trilogy, and several Russian films, so it's not the subtitles. I guess it's the director's skill and/or the story that keeps me interested.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes, it's the director's skill and story that counts. More Eisenstein please!
And re battlebeast's list of 'best movies' he hates .... what a personal list indeed. And I find myself agreeing with most of them!!

Mark VH

Second Unit
battlebeast said:

To re-iterate: nobody was calling you crazy for not liking Japanese cinema. While I do think it's silly and closed-minded to dismiss an entire country's cinematic output (which includes films across ALL genres), particularly if you haven't taken the time to actually explore into it (which I'm guessing you haven't), if that's your prerogative then so be it.

What I primarily took issue with was the fact that you said, and I quote, that you "resent" Criterion's love affair with Japanese cinema, as well as another poster's dismissal of all the Japanese films Criterion releases as "pretentious" (which they are decidedly not). As someone who prides himself on a love of ALL cinema, I find it disturbing that someone would be resentful of a company that would take the time to introduce me to many wonderful films that I otherwise wouldn't have the chance to see. It seems downright anti-cinephilic to me. Like whatever you want, prefer whatever you want, but I choose to celebrate a company that has the good sense to release a broad range of films from across different cultures, not chastise them for it.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Mark VH said:
To re-iterate: nobody was calling you crazy for not liking Japanese cinema. While I do think it's silly and closed-minded to dismiss an entire country's cinematic output (which includes films across ALL genres), particularly if you haven't taken the time to actually explore into it (which I'm guessing you haven't), if that's your prerogative then so be it.What I primarily took issue with was the fact that you said, and I quote, that you "resent" Criterion's love affair with Japanese cinema, as well as another poster's dismissal of all the Japanese films Criterion releases as "pretentious" (which they are decidedly not). As someone who prides himself on a love of ALL cinema, I find it disturbing that someone would be resentful of a company that would take the time to introduce me to many wonderful films that I otherwise wouldn't have the chance to see. It seems downright anti-cinephilic to me. Like whatever you want, prefer whatever you want, but I choose to celebrate a company that has the good sense to release a broad range of films from across different cultures, not chastise them for it.
Nobody was calling me crazy? That's the feeling I got.I haven't "dismissed" the whole country's cinema. I've seen ran, seven samurai, and Godzilla. I just don't care for Japanese cinema! Love with it! And I can still be a lover of cinema without liking Japanese cinema. And yes, they are pretentious because I've seen people say that Japan has made some of the best movies ever made. I disagree. I DONT WANT TO EXPLORE JAPANESE CINEMA. I barely have enough time each day to watch all the wonderful films from Hollywood, never mind throwing in Russia and Iceland and Korea and France and Togo and Bhutan and Siam and Burma and Honduras. And like someone else said (i forget who, and I'm not quoting directly), if it takes seven samurai to get one Mad World, so be it!I love criterion, I DO NOT RESENT THEM (I resent that they put out so much Japanese cinema.)Foreign cinema is not my thing. So what???

Mark VH

Second Unit
battlebeast said:
Nobody was calling me crazy? That's the feeling I got.I haven't "dismissed" the whole country's cinema. I've seen ran, seven samurai, and Godzilla. I just don't care for Japanese cinema! Love with it! And I can still be a lover of cinema without liking Japanese cinema. And yes, they are pretentious because I've seen people say that Japan has made some of the best movies ever made. I disagree.I DONT WANT TO EXPLORE JAPANESE CINEMA. I barely have enough time each day to watch all the wonderful films from Hollywood, never mind throwing in Russia and Iceland and Korea and France and Togo and Bhutan and Siam and Burma and Honduras.And like someone else said (i forget who, and I'm not quoting directly), if it takes seven samurai to get one Mad World, so be it!I love criterion, I DO NOT RESENT THEM (I resent that they put out so much Japanese cinema.)Foreign cinema is not my thing. So what???
So, to summarize, you have seen approximately three classic Japanese films, yet all Japanese cinema is pretentious and you disagree that it has produced some of the greatest films ever. Got it.

And you resent a company's attempts to introduce people to other cultures' films, when many of said films are established as being, at the very least, important milestones in the history of the medium (which, incidentally, is in said company's mission statement). Check.

And you can be a lover of cinema while dismissing an entire country's cinematic output. Right on.

Just wanted to make sure I had it right. Sadly, it appears that I do.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What does all of this have to do with Foreign Correspondent being on blu ray ????????????

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Mark VH said:
So, to summarize, you have seen approximately three classic Japanese films, yet all Japanese cinema is pretentious and you disagree that it has produced some of the greatest films ever. Got it.And you resent a company's attempts to introduce people to other cultures' films, when many of said films are established as being, at the very least, important milestones in the history of the medium (which, incidentally, is in said company's mission statement). Check.And you can be a lover of cinema while dismissing an entire country's cinematic output. Right on.Just wanted to make sure I had it right. Sadly, it appears that I do.
I never dismissed it, I just don't like it. This all has nothing to do with Foreign Correspondant. I just made a small comment and a bunch of people blew it out of proportion. Try as I might to end it, I can't.I think the small minded ones are the ones knocking me for not liking Japanese cinema. We'll excuse me all to hell.I want to talk about Hitchcock, but they only want to put me down for notLikening Japanese cinema.AND FOR THE FINAL TIME, I do not resent Criterion for putting out Japanese cinema, I resent HOW MUCH they put out.Can't you people just end this already?! Sheesh.So I don't like Japanese cinema. GIVE IT A REST!!!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
David Steigman said:
What does all of this have to do with Foreign Correspondent being on blu ray ????????????
In a nutshell --->Foreign Correspondent > Released By Criterion > Why does Criterion release crap like Japanese movies instead of more crap like Foreign Correspondent.Threads here meander and evolve, there's not a mandate to keep ON TOPIC like some annoying and strict board out there.

Mark VH

Second Unit
battlebeast said:
I never dismissed it, I just don't like it.This all has nothing to do with Foreign Correspondant. I just made a small comment and a bunch of people blew it out of proportion. Try as I might to end it, I can't.I think the small minded ones are the ones knocking me for not liking Japanese cinema. We'll excuse me all to hell.I want to talk about Hitchcock, but they only want to put me down for notLikening Japanese cinema.AND FOR THE FINAL TIME, I do not resent Criterion for putting out Japanese cinema, I resent HOW MUCH they put out.Can't you people just end this already?! Sheesh.So I don't like Japanese cinema. GIVE IT A REST!!!
Hello, persecution complex. Nobody's knocking you for not liking Japanese cinema. Maybe a bit for being limited in your cinematic tastes, but hey, if the shoe fits...

But it you're that worked up about it, then fine, ended. Honestly, it's not that big a deal to me, and I'd be just as happy if Criterion stopped releasing Hitchcock movies altogether in favor of more Japanese flicks, 'cause I generally find Hitchcock to be a pretty dull filmmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks