What's new

for computer graphics work : buy a new pc or just buy a quadro for my old pc? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
my current pc is athlon xp2000+ with 1 gig of sdram, geforce4 ti4600 plus 200 gig worth of hard drive.

and it is slow as hell for what i am doing now.

so i am considering an upgrade. a new pc or just a quadro?

would quadro fx2000 work on my current machine? does it need a special mobo?

thanks

david_b_m

Agent
What kind of graphics work are you doing?? The Quadro series are just rebadged GeForce cards with CAD-optimized drivers. If you do a little searching you will find that a quick tweak of the drivers will literally turn a MUCH cheaper GeForce card into the equivalent Quadro card.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
what david said but there is also tweaks for the radeon 9x00 series to turn them into fireGL's as well. it's cheaper and if your not running major rendoring for booku bucks. then it will work out great for you.

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
Er, your system spec was the same as my old one (but I was using a p4 2.4 instead). Running Maya, Max and Lightwave, I found the system slowed as soon as the models started to get heavy... especially in SUB'Ds. So, I popped in a new Quadro 4 980xgl (paid for a 480, but this is what they shipped instead ;) )... got hold of the Maya NVIDIA CG pugins, as well as NVIDIA'S CGFX viewers and its a totally different system.

This is not my HTPC BTW, this is my 3D graphics workstation, so its very fast, nimble and not overcrowded with otherstuff.

Even though there are hacks out there to turn this into that, if you are serious about your work, stick with the certified hardware, certified drivers and plugins that are available for which ever app you are using.

You'll find hardware renders on the quadros to be super fast, and to the average layman, not that much diferent from those rendered in software. Maya 5 works so much better with the Quadro under its belt. I also used a ATI Fire GL this weekend on a different setup, and was very impressed, but ATI dont have as good driver support for pro apps.

Hope that helped.

Craig

:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks