What's new

Flirting with Disaster : worth six bucks ? (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I rented Flirting with Disaster on VHS and loved it many years ago.

Today, I saw it for 6 bucks on DVD at Kmart.

Then I read the few DVD reviews I could find...not good.

Apparently some think this is Disney's worst transfer ever.

Also reported is the fact that the DVD actually has less footage that VHS and LD?!

Flirting with Disaster : worth six bucks?

Or is there a new DVD version in the works.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
There's probably no new transfer in the works on this one. The DVD indeed is cut (in the end credit sequence, the scene showing Tea Leoni's character smoking while pregnant has been removed). I am just thankful I have the LD, is all. That said, $6 is only $6.

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't seen the dvd yet (but bought it a couple weeks ago). Didn't know anything was cut until now (anything else besides that shot of Leoni smoking?). Disappointing to hear, but... Yeah. $6 loses the 'purist' arguement for me... it's well-worth it to me for that price.

It's a very funny movie. My girlfriend's never seen it (but loves Stiller), so she's in for a real treat.

WillardK

Second Unit
It's an hysterically funny film. I especially like Lilly Tomlin... and her resentful younger son.

I haven't seen the dvd, but I remember being shocked that the cable version cut the gay-couple-in-bed scene from the end credits. You'd think it was illegal or something.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
It sounds like all the cuts on the DVD version come from footage during the end credits?

Can someone confirm that, I don't have a VHS copy to check.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the events that transpire during the credits, please provide a summary to the best of your recollection.

Since Kmart is dumping the disc, other stores will likely follow and several HTFers are bound to wind-up with this version and wonder what they missed...

the gay-couple-in-bed scene from the end credits

Jodee

Screenwriter
Actually the DVD version is the same as the theatrical version, if I recall correctly. Before the theatrical version was released, they cut the gay couple in bed shot and then it was restored for the laserdisc. I think even Entertainment Weekly at the time mentioned something about that shot not appearing in the theatrical version. I remember, since I was one of two people who saw this at the theatres. The first tiem I saw it intact was when I bought the laserdisc.

So the version with the gay couple is the "uncut" version, but the DVD is the theatrical "edit".

I think the same is true with Tea Leoni smoking but I don't recall that speciically being in the theatrical version or not.

IMDB agrees with me:
http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0116324

The VHS and laserdisc versions (but not the DVD release) feature additional scenes during the end credits, not included in the original theatrical cut, showing the whereabouts of Tina and Tony and Paul.
And to answer the original post: Yes, it is worth $6. This movie is fantastic and one of the most under-rated gems of the 90's.

The shots in question are just litlle shots during the end-credits. I wish the DVD had restored them but the movie is so great and well worth repeated viewings.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I remember the Leoni smoking scene and the gay couple in bed scence when I saw the film theatrically - although I didn't see it in the US, which may mean that the LD is the international cut.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
This movie really is fantastic. It's got so many great lines and is very funny. I could watch it over and over. What a cast!

I agree that the prints that have been released to video and DVD have been rather poor in picture quality. I seem to remember that when I saw it in theaters, it had the same overly grainy, contrasty look to it.

There was however a version shown on cable in recent times that was quite impressive and looked completely different, like it was from a completely different print. I was surprised by it. It looked better than the version shown in theaters. I hope this gem gets a quality DVD re release.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If you DO want this title, and couldn't find it at K-Mart for $5.99, be aware that Circuit City has it for $6.99.

My CC only had 1 copy though. "Had", that is. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my copy (jumping straight to the end credits, since I've never seen this film before).

The additional scenes of Tea Leoni and the gay couple that are being discussed? Are NOT on this DVD. I see other, similar scenes with other characters (including Mary Tyler Moore in just a bra and panties...whoa!). But not the ones being asked about.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I love the movie but would never buy the DVD.
I was interested when it was released years ago but they made a crucial error, they didn't include the DD5.1 track from the LD, instead opting for DD2CH.

Why? I'll never know.

Doug

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
What I really am curious about is the one with Lily Tomlin and Alan Alda end credits bit still in there...those two really made the movie for me...so funny.

I'll definately have to look for it.

If I remember correctly, the movie didn't have a big budget to begin with...that may be part of the reason the transfer is somewhat sub-par...I dunno...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Another reason to have the LD version instead of the DVD: The LD has a 5.1 AC-3 track, the DVD sports only a 2.0 DD track.

WillardK

Second Unit
FLIRTING WITH DISASTER Released by Buena Vista Home Entertainment Buena Vista strikes again. While Miramax Films has been known for taking on edgy material, they are owned by corporate parent Disney, which has caused a few run-ins with the editor's scissors. In some cases, such as SCREAM, trims are made to secure an R-Rating, and in others, such as the case with Kevin Smith's DOGMA, the film was so potentially controversial Miramax decided to seek a different distributor as Disney didn't want to release it. Luckily, home video is usually the savior in most of these cases, as with SCREAM, where Miramax licensed the title out to Image for Laserdisc and fans finally got to see the uncut version for the first time. However, since Buena Vista handles their own DVD distribution, they don't often license out their titles to third-parties much anymore, hence the Buena Vista-distributed SCREAM DVD was the theatrical cut and not the unexpurgated version. The case of Miramax's FLIRTING WITH DISASTER is very interesting. When it was shown theatrically, it featured a fairly typical end credit sequence. However, for home video, David O. Russell got to add a few additional scenes during the closing credits with Tea Leoni, now pregnant, as well as a comedic interchange between the gay couple in bed. This version was released on VHS and Laserdisc, but strangely when it came time for the DVD, these end credit shots were excised. We originally contacted David O. Russell's publicist back when the edited version of FLIRTING WITH DISASTER was released on DVD, and they were not happy about the alterations, as Mr. Russell prefers the ending with the extra scenes. Buena Vista's official response was that the wrong master was used for the DVD, but regardless of the error the disc would not be repressed. This is disappointing, and along with the pretty terrible transfer on the DVD, we can only hope this poor release will one day be discontinued and replaced with a better version. But until that happens, if ever, we're stuck with a pretty lousy disc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks