1. I rented Flirting with Disaster on VHS and loved it many years ago.

Today, I saw it for 6 bucks on DVD at Kmart.

Then I read the few DVD reviews I could find...not good.

Apparently some think this is Disney's worst transfer ever.

Also reported is the fact that the DVD actually has less footage that VHS and LD?!

Flirting with Disaster : worth six bucks?

Or is there a new DVD version in the works.

2. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

There's probably no new transfer in the works on this one. The DVD indeed is cut (in the end credit sequence, the scene showing Tea Leoni's character smoking while pregnant has been removed). I am just thankful I have the LD, is all. That said, $6 is only $6.

3. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

Haven't seen the dvd yet (but bought it a couple weeks ago). Didn't know anything was cut until now (anything else besides that shot of Leoni smoking?). Disappointing to hear, but... Yeah. $6 loses the 'purist' arguement for me... it's well-worth it to me for that price.

It's a very funny movie. My girlfriend's never seen it (but loves Stiller), so she's in for a real treat.

4. Ron Kaye

Ron Kaye Agent

Worth the bucks. Very funny movie.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

It's an hysterically funny film. I especially like Lilly Tomlin... and her resentful younger son.

I haven't seen the dvd, but I remember being shocked that the cable version cut the gay-couple-in-bed scene from the end credits. You'd think it was illegal or something.

7. It sounds like all the cuts on the DVD version come from footage during the end credits?

Can someone confirm that, I don't have a VHS copy to check.

Also, if anyone is familiar with the events that transpire during the credits, please provide a summary to the best of your recollection.

Since Kmart is dumping the disc, other stores will likely follow and several HTFers are bound to wind-up with this version and wonder what they missed...

8. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Actually the DVD version is the same as the theatrical version, if I recall correctly. Before the theatrical version was released, they cut the gay couple in bed shot and then it was restored for the laserdisc. I think even Entertainment Weekly at the time mentioned something about that shot not appearing in the theatrical version. I remember, since I was one of two people who saw this at the theatres. The first tiem I saw it intact was when I bought the laserdisc.

So the version with the gay couple is the "uncut" version, but the DVD is the theatrical "edit".

I think the same is true with Tea Leoni smoking but I don't recall that speciically being in the theatrical version or not.

IMDB agrees with me:
    http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0116324

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I remember the Leoni smoking scene and the gay couple in bed scence when I saw the film theatrically - although I didn't see it in the US, which may mean that the LD is the international cut.

10. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    This movie really is fantastic. It's got so many great lines and is very funny. I could watch it over and over. What a cast!

I agree that the prints that have been released to video and DVD have been rather poor in picture quality. I seem to remember that when I saw it in theaters, it had the same overly grainy, contrasty look to it.

There was however a version shown on cable in recent times that was quite impressive and looked completely different, like it was from a completely different print. I was surprised by it. It looked better than the version shown in theaters. I hope this gem gets a quality DVD re release.

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

If you DO want this title, and couldn't find it at K-Mart for $5.99, be aware that Circuit City has it for $6.99.

My CC only had 1 copy though. "Had", that is. [​IMG]

12. David Lambert

Just checked my copy (jumping straight to the end credits, since I've never seen this film before).

The additional scenes of Tea Leoni and the gay couple that are being discussed? Are NOT on this DVD. I see other, similar scenes with other characters (including Mary Tyler Moore in just a bra and panties...whoa!). But not the ones being asked about.

13. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I love the movie but would never buy the DVD.
    I was interested when it was released years ago but they made a crucial error, they didn't include the DD5.1 track from the LD, instead opting for DD2CH.

Why? I'll never know.

Doug

14. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

What I really am curious about is the one with Lily Tomlin and Alan Alda end credits bit still in there...those two really made the movie for me...so funny.

I'll definately have to look for it.

If I remember correctly, the movie didn't have a big budget to begin with...that may be part of the reason the transfer is somewhat sub-par...I dunno...

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Another reason to have the LD version instead of the DVD: The LD has a 5.1 AC-3 track, the DVD sports only a 2.0 DD track.

16. David Lambert

17. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit