What's new

Flightplan (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to not find any threads on this film. Just got back from seeing it. A solid thriller.:emoji_thumbsup:

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to watch this movie on Thursday for free and boy was I glad I didn't have to PAY for this garbage. AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE:

Ok, so they pretty much lied in the trailer. I'm thinking that the studio knows it's got a stinker on it's hands, so they decided to make it seem like it was a psychological thiller instead of a really bad action film. Ok, first thing, the air marshal tells the pilot that Jodie Foster needs 50 million dollars transfered to her account or else she will blow up the plane. Then 10 minute later, the pilot say "ok, it's done." Wow, how ridiculous is this??!!! So the pilot just takes the word of the Air Marshall w/o any proof and is able to successfully transfer the 50 millions dollars??!! Also, ok, at least 4 people were involved and for what?? 50 MILLION DOLLARS??!! They went through the trouble of killing Jodie Foster's husband for a cut of 50 MILLION DOLLARS?!! What I did learn from this movie was that if you do have an evil air marshall after you, the FIRST thing to do is find a REALLY heavy book and throw it somewhere. Evil Air Marshalls are easily fooled by heavy sounds. Also, I found it very cliche and dated that they HAD to pull the "Arabs on a Plane are suspicious card." I call this very lazy writing. I mean, if you ARE going to use this, at least be smart about it. Jodie Foster, DID see some dudes looking into her daughter's room. At the end, we find that the Arabs on the plane, where NOT these guys. So is the movie trying to tell us that ALL Arabs LOOK ALIKE??!!! Then comes the end. Ok, so she had the air marshall trapped in that room, did she REALLY have to use the detonator?? Couldn't she just have locked him in that room, gone out with her daughter (her proof) and gotten some help?!! Also, by doing this, didn't in a way she endanger both her and her daugther's life? Wasn't there a possibility that that door wouldn't of taken the impact?? No need to blow up part of a very expensive plane. Then when she comes out with her daughter, that was one of the FUNNIEST parts EVER!! Everyone saying "It's her daughter!!" was very corny and forced. Man, this is one of the WORST movies I've EVER seen. Mostly cause I feel INSULTED that the writers thought the audience would buy ANY of this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While Jodie Foster puts in a good performance, almost to the point where it really does feel like everyone else on the plane was watching her give an acting clinic at times, the 3rd act does make you scratch your head and it just becomes more and more implausible due to far too many plotholes.

See it at a matinee if you're a Jodie fan, but know that it's not as good it could have been, and relies on too many cliches to elevate it out of the thriller genre.

I give it a 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Made me forget about the disappointing Red Eye. Solid thriller and Jodie is at the top of her game.

Yeah, the ending is kind of a disappointment. I almost wish it was just a dream or some dillusion but oh well. Still a lot of good tension along the way. Admit it, Arab men do look alike when they're unshaven and dressed in drab coats. By the end I couldn't figure out if the guys looking out the windows were associated with the FBI or the cab driver. Anyone figure it out?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I thought the buildup didnt have a sufficent payoff.

Hitchcock said it best when he stated that "an explosion is over before you get your money's worth." Odd how the explosion at the end was the slowest one I've seen without time actually going into slow motion. :D

I mean, it was a cakewalk at the beginning...not that hard to build suspense. Its the payoff that makes it all worth it. And it just didnt happen here.

It was pretty good, nothin amazin.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I liked it very much. The film screwed with my head, and I always love it when a film does that.

Yes, it did contain plotholes, but everything that Foster does has a believeable logic behind it, just as Roger Ebert stated in his review, and that created a sufficiant foundation for me to rest my emotions on. I was intrigued by the proceedings, I didn't see many of the twists coming and I liked the ending.

I really liked the film's villian, I thought he was appropriately icey and methodical, he struck my girlfriend as being vaguely homosexual, which I can see in hindsight, but I think added to his effectiveness, even though he did very basic bad guy things, the acting made it seem as if I hadn't seen a villian like him before.

Yes, the film did take tremeandous flights (no pun intended) of logic fancy, but hey, if films followed absolute real-life logic to the letter, well, then they wouldn't be any fun now would they?

Flightplan is very much a psychological thriller, with some action thrown in, the trailer didn't lie and delivered what was promised.

3 and a half :star: :star: :star:'s out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

The film lost some points because agreed, 50 million isn't much for a villian to pull off such an elaborate plot.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
The first two acts of the film were good, and my wife and I enjoyed them. However, the last act was such a mess that it destroyed all credibility that the film built up in the first two acts. There were plotholes and character actions that were so absurd it really took away from the film.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I'm kinda mixed.
Some scenes had nice dramatic build-up, but to many plot-holes were simply distracting.

Like:
The Marshal walked off the plane, and was about to blow it up.... with his "parter" still aboard?

This elaborate, and complex plan all revolved around nobody noticing that girl on the plane. What if she wasnt first on abord? what if she didn't fall asleep? I didn't buy that at all. Its possible, but crazy to base such a plan on such an unlikely event.

Jodie asked the evil stewardess where she searched, because she obviously KNEW what was going on.... but Jodie already searched avionics herself, which conflicts with that scene.

Again, this plan was based on NOBODY talking to Jodie AFTER the $50million demand was revealed? Again, a very risky move.

If the plane was bombed... it was be THOUROUGHLY searched and scanned. I'd think they were discover the skelaton of a girl?

etc....etc.... I could go on forever.
I read Eberts review, and I agree that JODIE'S behavior is logical, but totally DISAGREE that the plot is logical. It simply makes no sense.

Nick

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Not real interested in seeing this movie, the trailer I saw it made it look like a complete rip-off from Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes. So if anyone wants to see this similar premise done really well--almost 70 years earlier!--check out the Criterion disc of that classic film.

I did read the summary of Flightplan on Themoviespoiler.com and my guess about it being like The Lady Vanishes appears to be even more right than I had imagined from the trailer. Not exactly a spoiler, but I'll mark it as such anyway:

Even the "OK, maybe I really am crazy, I must not have gotten onto the train (plane) with that old woman (my daughter)...wait a minute, I was right, you're all against me!" moment hinges on almost EXACTLY the same little trick in both movies.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A complete and utter waste of time :thumbsdown:.

I always endup paying full price (x 2!) for this kind of flick that least deserves it (the uttterly forgettable to horrible mess kind) because that's the occasional weekend evening companions want to see :angry:.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks