What's new
World Wide Stereo

Flat screen behind Mirror in bathroom vanity (1 Viewer)

DrJ 1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rex
I am placing Flat screen behind a 2 way mirror in bathroom vanity. Need advice in connecting audio to several in ceiling speakers. The TV only has digital out audio (optical/coaxial). I prefer not to have elaborate receiver, so if an amp is necessary it needs to be controlled by a remote as well as the TV. What senors should I look into to carry the remote signal for the amp and the TV. ARJ

728x90

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
is there a cable box connected?

Use the analog outputs to a simple amp to power the speakers.

DrJ 1

Auditioning
Real Name
Rex
Great idea, but there is not a cable box. I have the cable connected directly to the cable input on the back of the set, and allow the TV decoder to decipher signal. Most HD channels as well. Any other ideas. ARJ

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
use a cable box. you are only getting a few HD channels the way you have it connected.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Regardless of cable box or not, you will need an amp to power the speakers.

You mention "several in-ceiling speakers" - how many is "several"? Really, you need one amplifier channel for each speaker connected. That should help you decide what amp/receiver to get. I would not suggest "daisy chaining" multiple speakers to a single speaker output on the amp - that's just asking for trouble.

I would guess you mean to connect two speakers, so a basic stereo amp should suffice. If more than two, then, that's a helluva sound system for the bathroom.

As for controlling the gear, you need an RF-based remote that can penetrate the wall/mirror and reach the gear. Your best bet might be the Logitech Harmony 890 . It comes with an RF reciever unit and four "dual" IR emitters, so it should be all that you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks