What's new

"Finding Nemo" breaks 1-day sales record (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Disney said that a record 8 million copies of "Nemo" (dvd + video tape) were sold on tuesday. 80% of those sales, or 6.4 million copies, were DVD.

Holy Mackerel!

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Went to Circuit City today and they were sold out. They never sell out of big releases. I'll have to get it sometime this weekend I guess.

AJG

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes - i wanted to get a copy at CC for $14.99, and there was actually a line of people (about 40) waiting to get in when the store opened.

Hadn't seen a line at CC since November of 2000, when the PS2 was being released in quantities far below demand...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
8 million x $15 (on average) = $120 million

Studios should take note on just how profitable a good movie and dvd can be.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Neil - i think you make a good point about other studios taking notes: Disney does seem to do a better job of this (DVD marketing) than other companies. For example, "Shrek" made a little more money at the box office than "Monsters Inc." did, but MI sold signficantly more DVD copies..

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Wal-Mart, the shit place it is, had it at a suprising low $13.99 for the DVD. I wasn't going to pick it up, but couldn't help doing at that price.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Have you noticed a decrease in the number of press releases touting that the latest DVD sales record has been broken. I remember even up to a year or two ago, every week the latest DVD broke the big sales record. Now it seems to have slowed down a lot. Maybe it got so high that it is now harder to break.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I would have thought we'd have two back to back (Lion King, then Nemo) but que sera ;) Congrats to Nemo!

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
I think the next 1-day record breaker will be the DVD release of Spiderman 2...

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Chad Wright:

Have you noticed a decrease in the number of press releases touting that the latest DVD sales record has been broken. I remember even up to a year or two ago, every week the latest DVD broke the big sales record. Now it seems to have slowed down a lot. Maybe it got so high that it is now harder to break
- I think part of the reason is that for a while there the record would be broken as much because of leaps in the # of DVD players sold. Now that virtually everyone who wants a DVD player has one, that is no longer a factor, so new releases don't get that boost over near-recent ones.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Chris wrote:

Yep, I would have thought we'd have two back to back (Lion King, then Nemo) but que sera Congrats to Nemo!
- The Lion King has reportedely sold about 5 million DVD copies. While this is far from the record, you have to keep in mind that LK is the biggest-selling video release ever, with over 30 million VHS tapes sold. So there are probably lots of people who didn't care to replace their tape with a DVD...

R. Kay

Second Unit
Let's face it ...

Di$ney knows how to do DVD right.

It helps to have the geniuses at Pixar to help, though ...

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The results so far may be good news for the on-going Disney/Pixar discussions. The fact is that nobody has the marketing clout that Disney currently has. Pixar knows this. I predict......... a deal will be announced before the end of the year that the two companies will continue their relationship. (I could be wrong though!) :D

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
could I add a slight correction to Neils calculation??

you set the average price at 15$
are dvds really that cheap in the US??
I bought mine from an online shop and paid £16.99 =28$!!!!
that is a lot of money (I did get mine 2 weeks ago though;)) But I think you will have to up your avaerage price a bit as I assume that a lot of people in the US willbuy it for more than those 15dollars, no??

Still a hell of a lot of money for Pixar/Disney. this time they earned it though

another point DVD/VHS 80:20 :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: but that makes you think: I can only assume that most kids now have a DVDplayer in their rooms...and standard VHS is finally dead??

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I paid $14.89. I think the average price would be impossible to determine, with each store selling at a different price. I imagine the studios (Pixar and Disney) get a set amount for each DVD sold and the retail store reaps most of the balance. Are these figures known? For example, if the studios get $10 for each DVD, the DVD consortium gets $1, the retailer gets the balance, etc... In this manner, it wouldn't matter what the average price paid by the consumer, as the studio would get a fixed fee for each disc sold.

I would guess the average price would be in the range of $18. Some stores are selling Nemo for over $20.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
you set the average price at 15$
are dvds really that cheap in the US??
On this title, they are because they know it will bring people inside the door--and once inside, they'll buy other things. It's a U.S. marketing tactic called "loss leaders"--they take a loss (or really low profit) on one thing to sell people more of other things once they enter the store. The trick is getting them inside the door.

The largest sellers of DVDs--Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, etc.--all are selling Finding Nemo for $14.99 to $15.99. And many gave away some Finding Nemo item to go with the DVD.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Disney distribution gets a set wholesale price from the various retail chains for each DVD or VHS purchased (it doesn't matter if a store sells the product at $14.99 or a higher price). In most instances I'd say that $14.99 for the DVD brings little profit. When they raise the price after the first week to $19.99 then they start making some money. In any event as stated above, Nemo brings people into a store where it is hoped they'll buy some other product as well. This used to be called a 'loss leader" but that is illegal, so it isn't mentioned.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Good I was nearly worried and thought about emigrating to the US. It would save a lot of money on DVDs as here in europe I usually pay around 20-35$ for a new DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks