What's new

Finally got all my gear, I think I disappointed you Robert!! :) Please help (again) (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Ok Robert.. You told me EXCACTLY what I needed to buy.. and I think I screwed it up. First off the wifie didn't want 2 dishes mounted on our deck.... so I had to buy the eliptical dish. I bought the Radio Shack Double bowtie antenna but it's not terminated with a coax as I thought. It has a speaker connection type thingie (that is my technical expertise for you) How do I connect that to my multi-switch?
The next thing I did was got a radioshack version of the multiswitch.. DBS Distribution multi-switch (couldn't find it on the site) Model D6530, It's got 2 satelite in's and a TV anttena in (i'm assuming for the double bow.. but it's coax input) and then it has 4 outs to receivers. Also a power input (with a power source included)
Did I get the right gear? I'm about to set this bad boy up tomorow... Did I set myself up for failure?
thanks for all your help guys!!!
Jim

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Another question guys.... on the eliptical dish.. each LNB has 2 connectors for coax do you need 2 in each? (for a total of 4 to the multi-switch) or can you just do one coax from each LNB to the multi-switch for just 2 going in there?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It has a speaker connection type thingie (that is my technical expertise for you)
Push terminals that accept bare wire? Get a 300Ohm to 75Ohm converter. It has threads on one end that connect to an F-connector and about two inches of old style 300Ohm antenna wire on the other end. They are a couple of dollars at Wal-Mart. Strip the wire and put it in the push terminals. There's your coax connection!:D
Did your eliptical dish come with a multi-switch? Mine is integrated into the LNB mounting arm so it's not obvious when you look at the dish. That will eliminate the need for the Rat Shack switch but you will have to buy some more diplexors. Did you buy some diplexors? They are built into the Radio Shack switch but you also need them to "split" out the antenna from the DirecTV signal at the receiver.
BTW, confirm your reciever's pointing coordinates with the ones Link Removed. This site was accurate and my DirecTivo wasn't. Good luck on the install. Post questions if you have any.
-Robert

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Robert you are the man. The WAF did nix my plans for dual dish!
Ok, I'm going to get that conversion thing from rat shack tomorow... as far as the dish.. I just ordered it today, it should be here tomorow.. so I'll check it out. I paid 150 for that bastage.. it better have the multiswitch! ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I missed your other question. Yes. Both LNB connections must be made to the switch (if it is external). If it is like mine, you can't help but make them.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now that I re-read my answer, I'm not clear. Yes, all four connection should be made for the dish to work properly.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks