What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Thirteen might be an unlucky number for the people – and animals – on the run in this latest installment of Kino’s Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema series, but it’s lucky for us, since all three of the films included in this set are making their Blu-ray debuts here. First, the search is on for a panther carrying a strip of microfilm in Spy Hunt. Next, a recently released mental health patient is pushed to the breaking point in The Night Runner. Finally, a widow suspects there’s a much darker side to her brother-in-law in Step Down to Terror.

Step Down to Terror (1958)

Released: 01 Sep 1958
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 76 min

Director: Harry Keller
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir

Cast: Colleen Miller, Charles Drake, Rod Taylor
Writer(s): Gordon McDonell, Mel Dinelli, Czenzi Ormonde

Plot: A killer on the lam takes...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Mychal for your usual thoroughly detailed review! I only have about half of KL's 'Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema' boxsets (Just viewed my newly acquired Dark Side of Cinema XV, thrilled with it, especially for The Tattered Dress), and as I continue to back-fill my collection of these sets, your fine review here has accelerated my buy of set XIII...

As a big vintage TV collector also (in Ray Danton's case, his significant presence in late '50s-early '60s WB TV shows), I have a fondness for Ray Danton (looking forward also to KL's upcoming stand-alone Blu of The Looters from 1955 w/ Ray Danton, Rory Calhoun, Julie Adams et al), but clearly, all of these Universal B Noirs have their virtues!

I have to say also that several KL commentary film critic panels have proven to been quite informative and enjoyable, fully justifying a re-watch to hear them out (not Noir, but the recent KL commentary on Will Penny has proven to be one of the best I've ever heard!).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks Mychal for your usual thoroughly detailed review! I only have about half of KL's 'Film Noir Dark Side of Cinema' boxsets (Just viewed my newly acquired Dark Side of Cinema XV, thrilled with it, especially for The Tattered Dress), and as I continue to back-fill my collection of these sets, your fine review here has accelerated my buy of set XIII...

As a big vintage TV collector also (in Ray Danton's case, his significant presence in late '50s-early '60s WB TV shows), I have a fondness for Ray Danton (looking forward also to KL's upcoming stand-alone Blu of The Looters from 1955 w/ Ray Danton, Rory Calhoun, Julie Adams et al), but clearly, all of these Universal B Noirs have their virtues!

I have to say also that several KL commentary film critic panels have proven to been quite informative and enjoyable, fully justifying a re-watch to hear them out (not Noir, but the recent KL commentary on Will Penny has proven to be one of the best I've ever heard!).
The Looters is being released? I didn't know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks