What's new

Fighting games - turtle??? (1 Viewer)

Cliff B

Agent
Try not to laugh too much if this question seems really simple but what is the definition of 'turtling' in a fighting game? I've heard the term used on numerous occasions and it's got me stumped.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
turtling is huddling in a corner and blocking all the time, only coming out of the protective stance to attack maybe once in a while...just to get a cheap shot in...if any at all. Turtling is annoying in a lot of games because you cant beat them fast. If you try to get close enough to throw, they hit you. It is a good tactic sometimes, it depends on who the opponent is

David Glenn

Second Unit
It usually occurs on FPS CTF maps. In the closing minutes of a match, the team that has the lead may have some if not all of their offense fall back and play yard defense.

When this happens "chasing" usually occurs as well.

Cliff B

Agent
Thanks guys.

Sean, I've got a buddy that does this to me all the time in Virtua Fighter 4. I thought that it might be considered turtling. The whole "protective shell" idea makes sense when you think about it. Thanks again!

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Well, in regards to VF4, some characters are at their best in that type of defensive mode. I used to wreak havoc with Wolf this way: wait for my quicker opponent to leave an opening and then lay the heavy hurt on them. There's nothing quite like ducking under one of Pai's high-kicks and then tossing her across the arena for a KO. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
It was much worse in the past when you had games that didn't provide small increments of damage to blockers and the methods of hurting people blocking low were few and far between.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
This can even happen in RTS games if the opponents aren't playing aggressively enough. This is notoriously bad in Red Alert 2 when you have somebody playing as the French.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I always look down on turtlers. They don't play for fun, they play to win. :frowning: It's possible to do both but that involves something called skill, a quality turtlers don't usually have. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: In Tekken this usually ruins the game.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Turtling can sometimes be a great advantage. It gives you clues as to what the opponent is capable of doing. I use turtling in DOA3 the first time I play a new person, just to test their knowledge and skill. Then the next round I usually do nothing but reverse everything they throw at me.
Evil, yes, but effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks