What's new

FHM isn't doing it for me - which magazine should I switch to? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I've had a free subscription to FHM for almost a year now, but I finally gave up and cancelled it. That magazine is incredibly crappy. The writing is juvenile, the stories aren't interesting and it's generally just bad and uninteresting. Not even the pictures are that great.
So, I'm looking for another magazine of the same kind, but with better content. I would prefer more in-depth articles about entertainment, politics, and technology, and good, in-depth interviews with interesting personalities. I like reading opinionated columnists too, so if it has lots of that, that'd be a plus. I also want it to have lots of pictures of beautiful women. :)
So, what should I get?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Micke,
definatly MAXIM. I have every issue going back two years, and it's a lot better than FHM which I also get.
MAXIM offers better quality pics of it's females, and more importantly, females we WANT to see! My three favs right now are the spreads on Eliza Dushku, Kathrine Heigl, and Jules Asner.
STUFF Magazine is also good, it has the hottest spread on my girl Jennifer Lopez i've yet seen!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

As for your other requirments, I can't help you their, i've never read a single issue of MAXIM. :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i got a free sub to FHM too.. So far (two issues in), im unimpressed... Maxim had way better girls, and way better articles...
Go fer maxim :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Playboy bests them all. You see more skin, better articles for the basically the same price. The age demographic they are shooting for is slightly higher than your Maxim type crowd, but that's what I like about it. That and they show more skin. Did I mention they show more skin?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, here's my thought's on Playboy, I find that the photo spreads in Playboy are not as tasteful as i'd like, too smutty IMO. I don't need to see a woman completly nude to appreciate how beautiful they are. Besides, i'm not particularly interested in the women they feature anyway.

I'll take a photo spread of Jennifer Lopez teasingly half dressed, over a totally nude no name college co-ed any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
if it was free why would you cancel it? just subscribe to the other mag of your choice and keep getting the free one too.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well, Playboy, Hustler, and Penthouse have great girls....uh....Articles, HA, right.

Seriously though, Maxxim is way better IMO.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
How strange... I got my first MAXIM issue yesterday after many months of hiatus. This magazine is the best thing since sliced bread. I HATE FHM because it is all pictures and no substance. If I wanted wanted that I would Penthouse or something.
Btw, have ever met any female MAXIM subscriber? I know one. She is fun :D
--
Holadem

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Men's Health lacks the photo spreads of women, but is way more informative and well written than Maxim. Personally, I like both, it just depends on what you are looking for. Maxim is my designated "Airport Magazine."

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds to me like Gear would be a perfect fit for you. I got free subscriptions to both Gear and Stuff a while ago. I'd be willing to pay to re-up Gear but Stuff isn't getting a dime of my money - it's just too stupid.
Lary

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
John Williamson
I find that the photo spreads in Playboy are not as tasteful as i'd like, too smutty IMO
Smutty? I disagree. It's far classier than the other nudie magazines. It's softcore as opposed to being hardcore like Penthouse, Hustler, and some such nonsense.
Either way you look at it, I don't look at such filth.....okay, caught me lying. :D
MickeS, seeing as how you take articles seriously, the only good writing is really in Playboy. Magazines like Maxim and FHM only have amusing stories, true or not.
BTW, I kind of like FHM because they have pictorals of girls nobody else seems to have. Dominique Swain and the Hilton girls come to mind.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. How did I know that John Williamson would suggest Maxim? :D
From what I've seen though, Maxim seems to be just as bad as FHM, except that the girlie pictures are better. I've only looked at their website though, not the actual magazine.
I'll have to check out Gear, never heard of that one before.
I've been thinking about Playboy, but I don't really like the pictures in it, for the same reasons John mentioned above. But I've heard they have the best articles and writers of all the "men's magazines".
/Mike

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have never opened an issue of Playboy. My perception of that mag is a little... well smutty. They showed the Playboy mansion on some channel yesterday: there was this old grey guy with with scantily clad girls around him, a cigar in his mouth... that is certainly not my kind of stuff. Their writters might be the best, but how old are they? Probably middle aged men. I have very little interest in what they have to say about fashion, beer, women etc...

I believe MAXIM is more geared toward my generation (I am 24 in july).

--

Holadem

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:eek:
Okay, i take back my comment about FHM...
I just got this months today, and :eek: JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT!!!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nick,
I got mine today too, however I expected more from the actual spread, the pic on the cover is the best pic of her in that issue IMO.
What about that honey on page 80 Morisa Taylor Kaplan! :eek: I have no idea who she is, but she's got my attention! It says she was in 'The Animal' but I don't remember her in that movie.
'Scorpion King's' Kelly Hu is the featured girl in the May MAXIM, now THAT'S what i'm talkin about fella's! I'll tell ya, I love Hawaiian women!
EDIT: Now I remember Morisa Taylor Kaplan!(slaps forehead) She was the hottie that made Rob Shneider get "freindly" with that mailbox when he saw her walking down the street. Man John, how the hell could you forget her! I must be slipping. ;)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
John, yeah when I saw the part on her, i wasnt very impressed either.. ohwell, the cover's good enough :)
Pg.80 :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks