What's new

Fantastic Lightbulbs for HT lighting! (1 Viewer)

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone...
I've looked around, and it seems no one has posted anything about these.
I was at Wal-mart, picking up some odds and ends, including some Lightbulbs. But I ran across something really cool, and they work GREAT!
They are called the GE REVEAL series. They are a whole line of specially filtered lightbulbs that bring the output really close to 6500k. They deliver exactly what they promise: An almost complete removal of the yellow/orange light, giving instead a pure, cooler white light, almost like daylight.
They work really well, but I don't think I got the bulbs bright enough (I got the 60 watt bulbs). I plan to get the 75 watt ones tomorrow. These are great in the living room, and will help deliver a cleaner light when I get the Theater put together.
Head to your local WallyWorld's hardware section to take a look. 4 bulbs go for about $2.50.
TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
That is an incredible price for neodymium filtered bulbs. I remember when another neodymium bulb (Chromalux?) was about $12 for one bulb a few years ago. On top of that, they were next to impossible to find. Where did you find that the CT of the Reveal bulbs are 6500K? I didn't see that spec on the gereveal site.
------------------
Guy Kuo
Link Removed
Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD
[Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 26, 2001 at 02:05 AM]

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a few of those several weeks ago and replaced the bulbs in my HT room wall sconces. Gives the room a much better look!
Nice Tweak for every room.
icon14.gif

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
They had some signage up at Wal-mart, saying "Compare: Hold up your photos up to this bulb, and then compare that to the bulbs at home. You'll see a world of difference in the colors" mor something along those lines...
They didn't specifically say "These bulbs are 6500k" unfortunately. But buy a couple, and you'll see they are very close.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a 20W 6500 degree K flourescent GE bulb at Home Depot for about $3. I rigged up an $8 ballast to plug into my receiver and it works wonderfully.
------------------
--------
Ted K.
My DVD Collection

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I'd actually expect them to be closer to 4500 to 5000K if they didn't explicitly state they are 6500K. 6500K is pretty tough to attain with an incandescant bulb even with filtering.

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Almost all aquarium lighting is rated at 6500K. Very easy and cheap way to improve any system.
Dave

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I picked up a few. They are definitely much yellower than D65 despite being bluer than normal bulbs.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
I was just looking at their site last night. Yes, we should go drop in on them.
And in case you've lost count.... only four more days to Krispy Kreme! A news truck was out there as I pulled up to Home Despot to pick up the Reveal bulbs.
[Edited last by Guy Kuo on October 27, 2001 at 01:48 AM]

Butch Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I plan to build a rack that will hold a 6500k light and rig behing my widescreen, but these bulbs are great for the rest of the lighting in a room...

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Pretty neat. I took a peak with my DIY $5 spectroscope and one can clearly see the two bands of absorption by Neodymium in the yellow region of the spectrum. It also looks like there is a smaller less intense band of absorption in the midst of green.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks