What's new

F1 crowned it's 2005 Driver Champion today... (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Big news in the Formula One world today. Michael Schumacher's consecutive run of world championships is over, as Team Renault's FERNANDO ALONSO of Spain achieved enough points at today's Brazilian GP to clinch the driver's championship. He is also the youngest driver ever to become word champ at 24. He dominated much of the earlier part of the season, and was able to maintain that lead even though McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen had come back to win most of the latter half of the season's races. Yahoo AP Story here.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg....avIDRtQmk76w--

Big Photo

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Congrats to "Fred" and Renault!

I'm a long time Ferrari fan but if Ferrari isn't going to win again I'd rather see Renault win than McLaren!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The difference was that when Kimi won, Alonso was usually 2nd. When Alonso won, Kimi was usually in the garage with a blown engine.

If McLaren has its reliability down next year, they are going to be scary good.

On the other hand, the switch to V-8 engines could throw them for a loop the same way the 1 set of tires rule seemed to cripple Ferrari and Bridgestone.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Congratualtions to Fernando Alonso and everybody at Renault!

As a Ferrari fan, a lot of the emotion was drained out of this season as they suddenly plummeted out of contention for the championships. But as fan of F1, this season has been a fascinating study of pace vs. reliability, proving once again it doesn't matter how fast your car goes if it isn't consistently running at the end.

The race for the Constructors over the last two races should be very compelling. If I was a betting man, my money would be on McLaren, but I'll be rooting for Renault to double up.

Rob

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Well done! :emoji_thumbsup:

Fernando richly deserves this title. Fantastic poise for such a young driver. Except for Canada, he just did not make any big mistakes this season. From his incredibly cool and calculating drive at Imola, holding off the seven-time world champion nipping at his heels lap after lap, to the Nurburgring, where Kimi flat spotted his tires and as a result suffered a broken suspension on the very last lap, Fernando ran faultlessly and well enough to take the points without taxing his car too much. Good to see the F1 pecking order shaken up so much this season.

Now if they can just get rid of that stupid tire rule and go back to the old style of qualifying, I'd be a much more happy man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks