What's new

Everything I want to know about Food Labels, I didn't learn in Kindergarten. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My first thread after returning from Alaska, you must have missed me right??? I considered asking Ron to close the forum while I was away but then I thought it would be too much to do in this sweltering heat here in NJ. (And my A/C is dead).
Anyway, when food labels say that there are 2 servings per package and I eat the whole damm package, (Not the plastic,but the food inside!) do we have to double the food stats like sugar and protein and stuff or is that already doubled and if I only ate one serving size, I'd just half those stats????
I think I ran into somebody saying that the stats are for the whole package regardless of the serving size and I found that would be misleading and confusing, but who knows???
I'm hoping that the combined brain cells of the unnamed entity called "The After Hours lounge of the HTF" will collectively shed their brainpower to come up with a valid answer to my predicament. If an answer is obtained, the world will be one step closer to World Peace (or Whirrled Peas)
:)
Glad to be back... 2 weeks in the wilderness has an unknown affect to one's brain and mana.
Jay

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If you look closely right above where it lists the calories, it says "Amount Per Serving". So, if you ate both servings you need to double all the stats.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Ha ha, I knew it. Thats why all the diet soda drinkers I know are still fat. They drink twice as much pop as me. err uhh, nevermind.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
If you look closely right above where it lists the calories, it says "Amount Per
Serving". So, if you ate both servings you need to double all the stats.
I do know that, but they also usually put that in a separate box, like they'll have the serving size and the # of servings per container and that title there but then in a different box, they'll list all the good stuff in there.

Of course, we all know that it is impossible to eat only the serving size of Peanut M&M's so I guess I'll live with the calories and stuff... Heck, I'm sweating off salt as I type as it is 89.6°F in my room as I type right now.

Jay

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I do know that, but they also usually put that in a separate box, like they'll have the serving size and the # of servings per container and that title there but then in a different box, they'll list all the good stuff in there.
I personally think its fairly obvious that the "Amount Per Serving" is a heading to the rest of the label, but I can see the confusion.
Just in case you need extra convincing, check out the FDA's website. Link Removed
The size of the serving on the food package influences all the nutrient amounts listed on the top part of the label. In the sample label above, one serving of macaroni and cheese equals one cup. If you ate the whole package, you would eat two cups. That doubles the calories and other nutrient numbers, including the %Daily Values as shown below
But you're absolutely right. . its tough to stick to one serving of peanut M&Ms. But then again I have that problem with just about any junk food. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks