What's new

Ever have problems playing DVD Audio? (1 Viewer)

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I have a JVC XV-SA70 DVD player and it won't play the audio on my DVD Audio discs. It does the play the video and has no problem with any other DVDs or CDs.

The front of the player says it has DVD Audio, but I noticed the screen that initially pops up does not.

Anyone have a problem with their JVC or other brand playing the sound?

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Scott, have you hooked up the 6 analog outputs of the DVD-A player to the 6 multichannel inputs of your receiver?

If the discs you are trying to play are strictly DVD-A (with no dts, DVD-V or other encoded data), then that's the only way you will hear any sound.

This is from JVC's Support Website:
** I can not get my DVD-Audio discs to play through the optical connection. **
JVC DVD-Audio players will work with existing receivers. They output PCM and Dolby Digital, and some will support the optional DTS format. However, most current receivers can't decode high-definition, multichannel PCM audio and even if they could it can't be carried on standard digital audio connections. JVC DVD-Audio players with high-end digital-to-analog converters (DACs) can only be hooked up to receivers with 6-channel analog inputs. You should consult your receiver's manual to determine if you have the correct analog inputs that are required for DVD-Audio playback.

Also, on my Onkyo receiver to listen to the multichannel inputs I physically have to switch to that input mode with my remote.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, missed that one, but yes, you must use the analog outs to get hires audio. Also, you may have to tell your player in it's setup menu, as I do with the 2200, to give priority to the hires audio rather than video for DVD-A.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I haven't worked with a JVC player in ages, but I suggest checking the various setup screens for a field that defines basic behaviour for a DVD-Audio disc.

The field would have a choice of Audio for DVD-Audio priority or Video for DVD-Video priority on DVD-Audio discs.

Cheers,

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. The analog outputs are not hooked up. When I bought the TV, cabinets, speakers, etc. they hooked it up for me. I asked them the other day about this suggesting that something was not hooked up and they said if I could hear DVDs and CDs it was probably the player having a problem with DVD-Audio.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh THEY have struck again!

First it was DPLII is better than Dolby Digital, now this!

What other audio horrors are THEY going to visit upon other unsuspecting citizens???

Keep tuning in.....er logging onto the HTF for more updates on this insidious scourge as it creeps across the planet!

LJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Most players do have a menu setting to switch between the DVD-A and DVD-V layer. They can not do both at once, nor can you normally switch from the remote.

If the player is properly set to select the DVD-A layer, yet you only get the DVD-V layer, I would think they player has a problem.

And not to ask dumb questions, but are you certain your JVC is DVD-A capable?

Putting that aside, here is a FAQ with some hook-up data that will be useful when you sort out the problem:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks