Entry Level DPLII RCVR Roundup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Jan 18, 2002.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Sep 10, 2001
    After much consideration and debating on what features I need and don't need (willing to pay for)... It's come down to just this. I don't need 6.1 in my small room because:

1. no room for rear speaker

2. dvd-audio and sacd are 5.1

3. if i'm putting together a budget system, i can't justify spending money on a rear speaker

so aside from all the standard features all I really need is:

DPLII and 5.1 inputs

5.1 inputs is pretty much stanard, so basically any dpl2 receiver in the $300 - $400 range will be fine.

I've got the choices whittled down to:

Denon avr 1602

Harmon Kardon avr 120

Kenwood VR 509

Onkyo 494

Am I missing any models? Does the JVC have DPL2? Please fire away with your opinions on these sub $400 dpl2 receivers...
  2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Dec 26, 2001
    JVC no DLP II. You might also want to add the Onkyo 595 to your list. I understand if you fight with J&R that it can be had for around $350 also take a look at the new Yahama's & if your not in a hurry most companies will be releasing their new receivers in April & if you wait you can compare the new with the old & get lower prices on the discontinued models.
  3. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Dec 7, 2001
    I got my 595 at JandR for $360. Just tell them you saw someone on the HTF forum who got it for that, and they won't have a problem. They know about this forum. At least the salesman I talked to did. [​IMG] I hear that the 494 isn't as user friendly as the 595. I really like the way mine sounds.
  4. Scott Hayes

Scott Hayes Second Unit

Oct 2, 2001
    I have a Marantz SR6200. It has DD, DTS, DDII, 5.1, 6.1, if you add on an external amp you can get 7.1.

I love it and I payed a little under 500$ You should definitly consider it. Fantastic reciever, the only down side is the remote. It is not back lit and is a little dificult to use in the dark.