What's new

Electronics repair shops - help - Michigan HTF members? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Anyone that can offer suggestions!!!
Help on finding a repair center authorized or not, (IN GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN) that dose good work at reasonable prices. Unit is no longer under warrenty!
I need a Yammi EQ-5000 worked on. Probly an easy fix as everything works properly except the RTA window shows light bars stuck wide open.
Meaning all frequency bar LED's on the RTA go to the top when turned on, -{even when EQ is in BY-pass mode}- ~~~ Aside from this, everything works perfectly! Subsonic filter, tape loops, line pass threw, all the eq sliders lights, along with adding or subtracting gain on all freq slides work perfectly. also there is no noise added to the sound it produces in pass threw or active EQ-ing....
Im no electronic wiz, but something tells me this should be a easy fix!!!
So any suggestions or recomendations for repair shops in the Grand Rapids area that are not going to steal you blind and do quailty work? There is always a fee to crack the cabnit open but some places really put a scewing on you. It's been years sence I've had to have some thing worked on and the place I used to go to is not around any more, (mom and pop shop and he passed away) and thats to bad because they were excellent at home audio repair and very reasonable.
Thanxs
Geoff

Rich G

Stunt Coordinator
Geoff, I don't know of any repair shop. I'm sure you checked the yellow pages. Take it to one of those and see if they have any recommendations on where to take it. It may be one of those things where it is better to buy a new one vs fixing the old one.
Good luck,
------------------
Rich G.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well I usually would agree to this train of thought, (just replace)!
I belive the fee for opening the case and a prelimanary look would be worth the 20 to 30 dollar charge. The fixed hr rate and parts might be a whole nother story,
Hence~ replacement very possible!!!
But given all things are working even the RTA display, and it's just the display not reading correctly (stays peaked on the display at all freqs) leads me to belive it's worth the money to have them take a look.
I have two authorized Yamaha repair shops in GR, and there is no question it can be fixed, just will the cost be worth it. At 400.00 aprox to replace, I think I will have some one take a look!!!
Just seeing if anyone knows of a good fair repair shop. Back years ago I bought alot of broken pieces of equipment, Amps, in particular, and my experience in repair shops taught me that all are not created equal. Hourly rates, access to parts and how experienced the techs are, all = saveing time in work hrs & rates, this all adds up.
I sure miss the mom and pop shop I used many years ago, it took some time to find them, and then all my work was done by them back then. Good, fast, and cheap!!!
If no one comes along & recomends someone for me, I will probley let one of the two authorized Yammi shops take a look and see what it's gona run, (almost llways an aprox). For sure 20 to 30.00 just to crack the cabnit!!! And more than likely a 2-week waiting list, not uncommon.
Still lookig for suggestion...
Geoff

Classic stereo on 28th st in Kentwood or their new location on 44th st in grandville may be able to help you out. I am not sure if they do repairs but am pretty sure they do. I have heard good things about a repair shop called Blackie's but have never been there myself.
Hope this helps,
Cort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks