What's new

Ed - 04/04/03 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
My wife and I will be very sad if this is indeed THE end for Ed.

And the producers can't go wrong getting Ed and Carol together. If the show is over, then we have some closure. If the show get's picked up, then in the first episode they will just write in relationship problems and continue on with Carol chasing Ed.

Great epsiode! Yes, M. Winslow was great. It too just loved the whole "do the sounds" thing. Awesome. And I think Julie Bowen has really gotten to strech her acting wings the last few weeks. Though I'd be happy just seeing her in a Knight suit every week.......

To NBC, please don't kill it off!!!

To David Letterman and Worldwide Pants, please do everything in your power to get NBC to keep the show on!!! Or get it on some other network!!!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I too hate to see Ed go. On the other hand, at least (should it really end) we won’t all be complaining in a couple of years about yet another ‘Ed almost gets Carol but she (yet again) chooses a bad boy’ plot. Or a ‘now Carol is free after seeing that he really is a bad boy, Ed is unavailable because of a new lawyer in town’, plot.

This has a good chance to end satisfactorily.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Why is everyone assuming that this is the end for Ed?
There are several reasons we have been given this assumption. #1 is that NBC moved this show to Friday, an indication they have given up on the show. #2 The final episode of the season is airing almost a month before May sweeps. #3 The storyline seems to be coming to a conclusion with Carol and Ed. The will they or won't they is an essential point to keep this show alive.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
The one thing going for it is that NBC owns a piece of the show which makes it cheaper to produce and also gives it a possible edge in returning vs the funding of a brand new show from scratch. Also, the Friday ratings number returns are encouraging, Friday may be the new place for this show as a 2nd life. Here's hoping for the best.

PS Is there any shot that Ed and Carol do not get together, I think not, in fact it seems like they had to make Frankie a bit meaner the past few eps to ease the pain of seeing her go as well, she was really giving Carol a run for the money.She was a worthy addition to this show, but if they do not get Carol and Ed together the last ep, then it is defintely over for this show as the revolt from the remaining and returning legion of fans will be the final nail. But if they get them together and the fans tune in.. well maybe just maybe NBC will give it one more go for Fridays at 9.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I think Josh Randall stole this episode, hands down. He looked so ridiculous with that mustache.

Otherwise, it felt very much like a "middle" episode - which it essentially is. I'll take an Ed middle episode over nearly anything else on TV any day, but in comparison to other Ed episodes, it was more "just getting things done."

Christopher Lloyd, while amusing, just underscored my own thoughts about celebrity guest stars: it doesn't work. Anyone with a well-established persona or image takes me out of the show, as I am too aware of who I am watching. One of worst cases (IMNSHO) is when the show Mad About You yanked the talented character actors who had portrayed Jamie's parents (for FOUR seasons no less) and replaced them with Carol Burnett and Carrol O'Connor. Not only did it piss me off in regards to continuity, but it just ruined the show. I was far too aware of them as TV icons, and it just wrenched me out of the show's established reality/world.

I will say it was very, very interesting to see Carol do what Ed used to do - chase after him creatively and persistently. And Molly did a good job of metaphorically clubbing Ed on the head about Carol.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually, if nothing else, this episode was a controlled experiment proving that actors with well established personas will take you out of the show (Christopher Lloyd) ... unless they are playing humorous versions of themselves (Michael Winslow). :)

Regards,

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Ken, for me, it was the opposite. Winslow played himself, and believably: an actor trying to break out of typecasting hell. Lloyd's character, for me, stood out the whole time as an anomaly in the Stuckeyville universe. I will grant that Lloyd's appearance was nowhere near as heinous as the aforementioned Mad About You casting fiasco, but the basic result was the same.

If Lloyd had been a recurring character, or if they had even worked to make viewers familiar with the character's name through conversational references, it might have worked better.

OK, I'll go find some other nits to pick....

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Michael,
Re-read my post. For you, it is not the opposite, it is exactly the same. Lloyd was distracting, Winslow was not. That was my one and only point. :)

I guess we will have to just disagree to agree. :laugh:

Regards,

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm surprised nobody mentioned my favorite line from this episode, "Damn, you fine. You know what...you hotter than Tyra Bowling Alleys." :laugh:

It will be a terrible injustice if this show is cancelled because of the influx of "reality" based crap that clutters network schedules these days.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, when I saw "Michael Winslow" in the opening credits, I was thinking of the bad guy in "The Crow" and "Along Came A Spider", Michael Wincott. And then the dude from Police Academy shows up, and I'm like "Alright!" :)

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Over the weekend, I ran across an Ed episode my wife and I had taped back during its first season. Am I the only one who thinks that Carol (Julie Bowen) looks a little different now when compared to that first season. I don't mean just a different hairstyle or makeup. She seems to have a more "edgy" look. Something just seems different. Maybe a change in weight or something? Anyone else notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks