EA rant - (Case #99....0) - Battlefield 1942 all of a sudden cut for xbox.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

hmmm...here we go again...http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...908782,00.html
    If anyone thought EA has grown up and stopped being p----'s, think again. Basically since the main component of the game is online, EA was in a crux. They would really get some bad publicity if they shipped the game without xbox live support, so they decide to can the whole thing since they only go online with Playstation 2. The "work on expansion" stuff, at least come up with something good, who ever heard of that crap before. They have gotten there heads so far up there green ass's they can see out the other side. I just don't understand why they can't just function like any other successful company...or just go exclusive to sony, then people without a ps2 wouldn't have any problems with them. It's just that they state that they support xbox on there site, people bought the xbox for the advantages over the ps2, but ea seems like they enjoy aiding sony's image(two towers graphics) I think it's sad so many people buy there products so blindly, I hope we don't see any other companies like this in the future, and i bet you there employee's who put effort into the project are appaled as well.

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

EA's patch support on the Medal of Honor end is crappy too. We haven't seen a new level exp pack in.... ever!! Spearhead doesn't count because they charge us $30 for it and there's STILL not enough variety. Remember the good ol days when a new update for UT also included 3-5 level with it? Not to mention it was free and downloadable off their website. With 3 big branches for consoles and PCs you'd think they'd have the manpower to keep up.

4. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

Yet another reason for me to dislike EA. They're not a part of my XBox library. They never will get my business in the future for thumbing their nose at XBox Live in favor of trying to make profit for only themselves and benefitting few in the process.

I have a long memory as a gamer. Beware, EA.

5. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    God I hate EA. The Xbox would have been the perfect platform for 1942 with ability to control the vehicles with a controller and all broadband gameplay. But no, if they can't make ALL the profits from it then they simply can't do it. They have got to be the greediest game developer on the planet. It just goes to show that they are more interested in making money then great games. Sure they have to make money, but last time I checked their stock they weren't hurting.
    I won't be buying any EA titles on the Xbox again until they give it the support it deserves. [​IMG]

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

"I won't be buying any EA titles on the Xbox again until they give it the support it deserves."

I hope people who feel this way decide to stick with it. As consumers, choosing not to buy a product is just about the only power we have.

7. Jon W H

I ended up sending them an email. ( [email protected] or [email protected] - their PR department, I believe? ) Only the second time I've ever contacted a game publisher to voice my opinion/complaint. (Konami was the other, I urged them to make Metal Gear Solid 2 available for the XBox.) This is what I wrote:
    To whom this may concern:
    I heard the news about Battlefield 1942 not being made available to the XBox Live users.
    I've been gaming since my parents bought me an Atari 2600 when I was six years old in the 70's. I bought many EA products, Nintendo, Sega, PS1 and PC over the years. I own an XBox now. I was looking very forward to playing Madden 2003 online. I did not buy your product when I heard of EA's decision not to enable it for Live. I bought many incarnations of Madden. You could say I was a disciple of Madden, even.
    Then I heard 1942 would not be available.
    Just so you know - I have an extremely long memory as a gamer. I am quite incensed at your policy in trying to strongarm the console makers into letting you restructure online gaming pricing. This is what we call, "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
    The gamers want online products. There is a demand for it. If you don't wish to work with Microsoft to deliver your product in a manner that the market is clamoring for, then your company more than deserves to fail for selling its soul.
    I will NOT be buying future products from EA as a result of your practices. I will also educate everyone I know to your practices and influence them not to purchase your product. You may think I am merely one disgruntled customer, but the consumer dollar is stronger than you think.
    Again, I will state that I have an extremely long memory.
    Thank you for your attention.
    Jon H.

8. Craig LeBlanc

Craig LeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I wish they'd put more effort into fixing problems with the PC version. It would have been my choice for GOTY for PC, but they took their sweet time fixing glaring bugs.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I've said it before, EA=no play. Not even Buffy. [​IMG]
    But the sad thing is, this is a self-fulfilling prophesy. EA doesn't believe in the Xbox (at least not to the extent that they believe in the PS2) so they cut corners wherever possible on their Xbox releases, which angers Xbox owners who vow not to purchase any EA releases, which just confirms EA's contentions when their Xbox sales are lower (percentage-wise) than their PS2 sales, leading to even less Xbox support, etc. etc.
    Personally I could count the number of EA games I give a fig about on one hand, but they do have one of the highest profiles of all gaming companies (at least in this country), and their continued snubbing of the Xbox certainly doesn't help that platform's credibility.

10. Oscar Saenz

Oscar Saenz Stunt Coordinator

Great letter Jon! Count me as one consumer who will no longer purchase an EA title. It might be time for me to write my first ever letter to a game developer/publisher...

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Playing Devil's advocate, have you seen the numbers on third party XBox titles? They're putrid, almost as bad as GameCube

The real problem is that there is, and always has been only room for 2 consoles in the market, and XB and GC have fragmented it so much that both are in trouble

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Edan W

Edan W Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes I wonder if EA looks at a third party game like Splinter Cell which was designed from the ground up to use the Xbox, critically and popularly acclaimed, then ported over to the PS2/GC and think "hey, we could maybe try that".

14. Dave Falasco

Yeah, it's a heck of a choice for Xbox owners, huh? Buy these sub-par games in hopes of convincing EA that there really is a market for their games on the Xbox, or boycott them and prove their suspicions right.

There are no easy answers, but one thing that would help would be for EA and MS to work out their differences over Xbox Live. That seems to be a cornerstone of a lot of the bitterness towards EA; at least it is for me. Although from what I read it doesn't sound like that's going to happen any time soon. Sigh.

15. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

16. Jon W H

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Jon W H

19. Dave Falasco

20. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer