What's new

DVI to Component Video converter? Is buying another TV the only answer? ARRGGG. (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
With the new "pushed" Samsung DVI output DVD Player it is making me more scared about my HDTV being obsolete in the next few years because it does not have a DVI input. I love my Toshiba 50HX81, but without a DVI I am wondering id the new HD-DVD players will allow me to play them using my TV! This is scary for me, since I literally just finished off paying for my TV that I thought would last a decent long time, but now I am getting worried.

Do they or will they make a DVI to component Video converter?

Is there a black market for such things and how do I find it, ha ha (just kidding);) ...unless there really is one :b

I really don't have enough money to buy another TV that has DVI inputs on it, and I really would love to be able to watch prerecorded HD movies in HD through my Component only TV.

Any help or reassurance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
99.9993% of all the televisions in the country do NOT have DVI inputs. I think you are safe for the expected lifetime of that Toshiba.

DVD's are not really HD.

The Samsung DVD player up-converts the 480 video to 720 or 1080. This is converted, not native 720/1080.

Your Toshiba does the same thing when you feed it ordinary component video.

The Samsung can do a somewhat better job than your Toshiba but not dramatically better.

Hope this helps

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums

Yeah, that is what I meant by "pushed" (i.e. pushes 480 to 1080 that is not really HD. I can see how you would think that, but this is what I meant in the first place.

I appreciate your help very much, but I think I just did not make myself clear. Thank you, but what remains to be seen is if the DVD manufactures are going to bow to Hollywood and not even allow Component Video outs with the up coming HD-DVD Formats because it is too high of a quality reproduction and the analog Component output would , make it too easy to copy such a great quality of their movies.

The only reason I mentioned the Samsung player is because for you to even use the fake 1080i you have to go through the DVI output and that is also the only output that the Fadjoura (sp?) chipset is used with. I was just saying that if this is the start of things to come then it makes me nervous.

I realize that the HD-DVD format is a while away until I can afford it, but I still do not want to have to buy a new TV because it does not have a DVI input.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure the HD-DVD format would be successful if everybody had to buy a new television. I believe any new HD-DVD players will offer component, and perhaps even SVideo output.

You MIGHT still have to buy a new TV to get real HD video from a new format, but I suspect it's a few years away.

But I could be wrong. I'm going to move this post over to the "Display Devices" where the people who study this stuff hang out.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
DVI converters exists. Therein does not lie any problems, but the problem is with HDCP encrypted DVI. IT's hard to predict, but at this point everything has to go down *in* the TV, otherwise the digital stream would be vulnerable to pirating. I wouldn't worry about it much yet.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks Bob for putting this in the right place.

Chris: when should I worry about it? Surely the electronic manufactures realize that the majority of TVs out there do not have DVI inputs in them and only have component video.

Can you or someone else explain what HDCP encryption is and how it relates to DVI? Or know of a place you can send me so I can read about it?

I am guessing it is similar to Macrovision, but much better at protecting the data, but I am interested in this. Thank you!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
How many o the TV's with DVI can actually decode this HDCP? it is my understanding that the two are not always the same, not all tv's with a DVI input would be able to accept an HDCP encoded signal.

As well I dont know about the rest of you, but i will be very upset indeed if my HDTV cant play HD-DVD when it comes out cause i dont ahve some stupid input. i mean really, upgrading to a nice new player, i can do that, btu a new tv as well? I figure someoen will make a conversion box that will let you convert an HDCP DVI output to component input, cause afterall that would simply be allowing the fair use of the technology we all bought. Plus if something like Kazza can be ruled as legal then im sure something with a whole lot more legal uses would be as well.

Anyway who actually copies straight from a dvd player? certinaly not those guys who are really making money of pirating, they are just going to find a way to copy the physical disc itself. DVI and HDCP are only going to cost the consumer money.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
What about HDMI? I just read a review raving about the new Pioneer 434HD plasma, partly because it was the only one tested that had HDMI input. Is this an important future consideration?

(I'm sort-of considering getting a plasma some time soon, so I've been keeping an eye on reviews etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks