What's new

DVD Sales figures (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Just wondering if there was a website where they track DVD sales figures. I'm always curious to see how heavily hyped highly anticipated releases fare (Indy last year for example, Star Wars this year.)

Also curious about movies which tanked at the box office, yet rebounded to cult status on DVD (Office Space for example)

Thanks!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You can check www.videobusiness.com

They list the top 20 highest sellers on DVD each week. Also they treat Widescreen and Full Screen as seperate titles so you can see how they sell in comparison to each other. You can also see data going back several months as well. I don't think you will fare too well trying to do deep research such as your "Office Space" example, but I think you will do ok otherwise. You need to register for the site, but it is free.

You can also check Amazon.com. If you enter a title it will tell you what the sales rank is for that item. You can check out their top 100 sales raking as well.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered changing your site to OAR Advocate or haven't you heard...

Now that more and more Joe Six-Pack's have finally bought 16x9 sets studios are already beginning to crop 1.33-1.66 OAR films to meet the demand for so-called Widescreen so that Joe Six-Pack can fill his new widescreen TV. :rolleyes

I know, it's off topic and may deserve its own thread, but I didn't know about your website until I read your plug.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Thanks for the websites, but the last comment confused me. I recently purchased a 16:9 widescreen TV. If I buy a "widescreen" version of a movie on DVD...how can I tell if it is the OAR (original aspect ratio?) or not?

I had assumed that P&S was the cropped version, but widescreen was OAR...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks