DVD Sales figures

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EdHoch, May 13, 2004.

1. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Just wondering if there was a website where they track DVD sales figures. I'm always curious to see how heavily hyped highly anticipated releases fare (Indy last year for example, Star Wars this year.)

Also curious about movies which tanked at the box office, yet rebounded to cult status on DVD (Office Space for example)

Thanks!

2. WillG

WillG Producer

You can check www.videobusiness.com

They list the top 20 highest sellers on DVD each week. Also they treat Widescreen and Full Screen as seperate titles so you can see how they sell in comparison to each other. You can also see data going back several months as well. I don't think you will fare too well trying to do deep research such as your "Office Space" example, but I think you will do ok otherwise. You need to register for the site, but it is free.

You can also check Amazon.com. If you enter a title it will tell you what the sales rank is for that item. You can check out their top 100 sales raking as well.

3. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    In addtion, my widescreen web site tracks the top selling DVD's and compares the widescreen versions against the pan & scan versions.

4. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

The most accurate source I have found for tracking DVD sales (and other forms of video) is through Adams Media Research. AMR has been tracking DVD sales since their inception almost seven years ago.

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Have you considered changing your site to OAR Advocate or haven't you heard...

Now that more and more Joe Six-Pack's have finally bought 16x9 sets studios are already beginning to crop 1.33-1.66 OAR films to meet the demand for so-called Widescreen so that Joe Six-Pack can fill his new widescreen TV. [​IMG]

I know, it's off topic and may deserve its own thread, but I didn't know about your website until I read your plug.

6. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Thanks for the websites, but the last comment confused me. I recently purchased a 16:9 widescreen TV. If I buy a "widescreen" version of a movie on DVD...how can I tell if it is the OAR (original aspect ratio?) or not?

I had assumed that P&S was the cropped version, but widescreen was OAR...

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

IMDB.com is usually a good resource for finding out such things.