What's new

DVD Sales - 6/2/02 (Harry Potter) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
DVD Sales for week of 6/2/02:

1. Harry Potter (Widescreen)
2. Harry Potter (P&S)
3. Vanilla Sky
4. Ocean’s Eleven (Widescreen)
5. Sex & the City – Third Season
6. The Others
7. Snow Dogs
8. How High
9. Legend Ultimate Edition
10. Behind Enemy Lines
11. State Property
12. From Hell
13. Memento Limited Edition
14. SW: The Phantom Menace
15. Ocean’s Eleven (P&S)

from Video Business (a Variety publication).

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm. A "Family Film" that sells more widescreen version than MAR? How can this be? Surely, research has shown that children will not watch OAR films. Your numbers must be off. Away with you!
TAKE THAT YOU MOVIE BUTCHERING FIENDS!!!! :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I'm floored by the fact that WS beat FS on HPatSS, since everywhere I looked there were almost zero WS copies stocked with the lone exceptions of Best Buy and Costco.
Those two chains, and the e-tailers, must have done humongous business last week for the SKU to win the race!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I noticed this on the Futureshop website as well. There were no numbers to go along with it but it was clearly stated that Widescreen #1, P&S #2.

*EDIT* I just checked their website again. HP Widescreen is still #1 but P&S is nowhere to be seen.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Wow. This is truly shocking when you consider almost everyone who bought their copies from Comp USA got P&S. Wal-Mart was trying to cram it down our throats. This is truly a fine day to be an OAR advocate. I thought for sure the P&S numbers were going to blow WS away.

*Although, are these numbers not counting Wal-Mart?*

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
*Although, are these numbers not counting Wal-Mart?*
I don't believe Wal-Mart, or similar large discount retailers, are included in these sales. Frankly, I don't believe they should be. They don't stock every new title and they don't all stock every available format. They may move a lot of DVD's, but DVD is only a small part of their overall business.

These sales figures include the true DVD/Home Entertainment B&M and on-line retailers such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Blockbuster, Tower, Amazon, etc., who have a vested interest in this product, stock/sell most titles, and offer choice of formats where one exists. So, one can extrapolate that when offered the choice of all available options, the consumer apparently chose WS over P&S.

I'm sure if Wal-Mart figures were added in, P&S would have topped the charts simply because Wal-Mart heavily skewed their inventory in that direction.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised about HP. At circuit city I asked them if they had any WS HP, they said "no we sold out in the first day of what we had, and we havn't sold more than 2 copies of the fullscreen sinse then. Everyone that comes in and ask about it wants the WS, and just leaves instead of buying the FS"

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Circus City was the only store I saw that only had the pan and scan version. The Fry's I bought mine at had only widescreen, a couple Towers had only the widescreen but one had both, and Borders had mostly widescreen but a few pan and scan. Based on my experiences (which of course reflect those of every other consumer ;) ) I'd say you'd have to make an effort to get the pan and scan version if that's what you wanted.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
In Best Buy's Kansas/Oklahoma district, the widescreen version has outsold the pan & scan version--roughly 2700 widescreen versions have been sold so far, compared to roughly 2000 copies of the pan & scan version. . .

-mwb-

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Widescreen has outsold Pan and Scan/Full Frame by 2 to 1 here in Paris, Texas! From talking to other managers in my chain, which targets towns under 50,000 people, my results are about standard. That means, in small town America, people are learning more and more about presentation. What I've noticed that blows me away is that the biggest WS stalwarts are the young people under 18!!! I witnessed several arguments that kids 9 or 10 had with mom and or dad about how they had to have Harry Potter in widescreen only. It's a cool day for me when I watch a 12 year old look at their parent with that "like, duh!!" look when they're asked which version they want and grab the widescreen. I'm telling you guys - it's happening. And you can thank your kids, little brothers, and grandkids for it. See.. brainwashing works. No, seriously - it's all about education and choice.

Matt

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Wal-mart and discount stores ARE included in the sales chart. What's not included are the ONLINE retailers, such as amazon.com and dvdexpress.com

Most Wal-Marts are now stocking both WS and PS. My Wal-Mart had about 50-50.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
No, Wal Mart sale are NOT included in any numbers that you and I can read. Their numbers are no longer released publicly and haven't been for over a year or so due to a decision by Wally World not to work with VideoScan.

Matt

Heinz W

Second Unit
Most Wal-Marts are now stocking both WS and PS. My Wal-Mart had about 50-50.
Same here in Pa. Good to see OAR winning one.
For the first time, however, the cardboard display greeted me just inside the door; I didn't have to go to the electronics department. DVD is mainstream alright. And that, as we all know too well, is good AND bad! :frowning:

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Great to see this major family title swinging to OAR.
Just how can the studio execs continue to justify their proclamations that families prefer fullscreen? That's what a Warner Bros. exec in charge of HP's dvd extras stated about Harry Potter. Will they continue to look past the sales tallies, subsequently ignoring public demand and look to their own, 'secret' studies? ;)

Patrick G

Second Unit
No, Wal Mart sale are NOT included in any numbers that you and I can read. Their numbers are no longer released publicly and haven't been for over a year or so due to a decision by Wally World not to work with VideoScan.
No, Wal-Mart's sales MAY BE included in this report because Warner Bros. is the only studio w/access to Wal-Mart's video sales information.

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
WalMart numbers cannot be included because they NEVER disclose their sales numbers outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks