What's new

dvd resolution on computer? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
what is the resolution displayed at for dvd on a computer? When I watch a dvd on a computer it is way sharper that on a tv. how does the dvd player in the computer convert the 480i signal into my 1024x768 that my screen displays at?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The resolution for DVD as seen on a computer screen is the same 480 lines vertical by approximately the same 720 pixels across horizontally. The horizontal resolution depens on what the computer does, sometimes it is 640 instead of 720.

For 1024 x 768 or other higher computer resolution the 720 x 480 video frame is upconverted, that is, spread out evenly over the greater number of pixels, duplicating some rows and/or columns of pixels as needed, and also doing some blending if the process used is more sophisticated.

The picture on a computer screen looks sharper because the dot pitch (spacing and fatness of the red, green, and blue spots) is much finer (0.28 mm typical) compared with an ordinary TV screen (0.81 mm typical).

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks