What's new

DVD PQ compared to HDTV on new plasma (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You're still not making any sense. You're either viewing the actual film or you're viewing the telecine(after the transfer to video). It sounds to me like it's the latter, otherwise there'd be no bit-depth, PsF format, or monitors involved.

You're the one who is taking this personally, I was originally just curious to know what you meant, but apparently you are not willing to clarify that.

Are you a telecine operator? You can just tell me exactly what you're viewing and what you're doing, no need to treat it as a national security matter.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys!

A good upscaling DVD player can cost less than $500 (ie Denon 2910) and make substantial improvements when viewing on a fixed pixel display.

regards

Gregg

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Gents (Chris & Brandon),

I trust that you have sorted out your comments a bit and are now both on the same page. There seems to have been a bit of a misunderstanding regarding what each other was trying to say.

Obviously Brandon, as a colorist in the industry has access to a great set of toys and equipment that go beyond even the finest HTs. And just as obviously he is viewing film on a digital display of the highest quality. Chris is talking mostly about the quality of SD compared to HD and some of the tweaks that can improve the SD experience a bit. You guys aren't really on different pages here in most of this except for a few misinterpretations of what the other was saying.

I have some SDs that actually look better than a couple of my HD-DVD discs but that's a combination of poor source material for the HD-DVD (Garbage in, garbage out) and some very nice processing of an SD which contains a good transfer (I pass everything through a DVDO VP30 HD scaler up to 1080p into my HP MD5880n 1080p input capable monitor.) However, I would be the first to admit that HD discs have the potential of much better picture quality when done properly. A couple of processed SD titles outperforming a few bad HD discs doesn't indicate a trend.

And to piggyback on something that Brandon brought up - I'm really looking forward to some of the upcoming Blu-ray players, like the Pioneer, outputting 1080p/24. Since my HP display can accept 1080p/24 natively I'm hoping that the ability to sidestep the 2:3 pulldown sequence of 1080p/60 will produce an even more "film-like" experience. Yes, it will be a digital recreation of 24fps film, but it should make a great picture even closer to the source. Obviously, when all "film" is digital then the main points of the arguments addressed here will be moot.

Keep the dialogue going guys, but let's remember to keep the tone respectful of each other. We don't want to fall into the behavioral patterns of some "other" forums.

;)

Theogenes

Agent
Real Name
Burnley
If anyone is interested, I've been using the Oppo 971H for a couple weeks and I've been simply amazed at the difference it's made compared to my Philips 642. There are some good forums here and at AVS Forums about it if you want more info. $200, Faroudja deinterlacing, INSANE customer support, amazing PQ... in my humble (and admittedly noob opinion) the best $200 improvement for a burgeoning HT out there.

www.oppodigital.com

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Thats funny, we had the same Philips. Actually still have along with a Sony and the Oppo smokes them both.

A little off topic and yes I have tried using the search feature but is there a list of bad DTS tracks somewhere around here?

Theogenes

Agent
Real Name
Burnley

Not that I'm aware of. But I'm pretty unschooled with the audio end of things (at the moment, anyway). Sorry.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
"Some people may have a considerably large DVD library now and I understand that, but I couldn't recommend anyone to buy inferior equipment that will be useless and outdated in a couple of years."

I see, so we all should have seen the writing on the wall ten years ago and sat on our hands and waited. Even four years ago we still should have waited. That way we can wait another five years for all the bugs, problems, standards to get ironed out and then we will still be left with two HD formats/ players to choose from. Then we wait even longer for titles to be released. Sounds like fun to me.

Honestly, Brandon, I don't see where you get off on your holier than thou attitude and my sh#t doesn't stink. Your better off at that "other" forum where your snotty attitude is gladly welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks