What's new

DVD Players >$300 Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Eric*B

Agent
Looks like the days of the cheap panny's with the Faroujda chip are gone (guess I got in the game too late to nab one).

Are there any inexpensive DCDi players out there? Sounds like the picture quality is much better on these units.

I do have a fre DVI input - I ran into a cheap samsung with DVI out but it had several negative reviews.

Also, does the speed of the video DAC matter much? That's one thing I notice quite a bit of difference in when comparing models - some of the Sony's have 12 bit/108MHz Video DAC's while some of the real cheap ones (Apex, low end panny's, etc) have only 10 bit/54MHz DAC's.

I just got a new Sony w 5-Disc changer, but the changer keeps chewing up discs so I'm taking it back. One thing I don't understand is that I only seem to get 480i and 480p out of the Sony. Do any of the other players support 1080i?? That's the mode my TV was running in when I got it, so I know it does 1080i.

Thanks,
Eric

Andy Stocker

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Samsung HD931 and I like it. It upconverts DVD material to either 720p or 1080i. I have DVI output as well and that was one of the main reasons I bought it. In fact DVI mode is the only way to achieve high definition quality from your dvd's (at least on this model it is). IMHO if you have DVI output and want to save your componet inputs and you want better than progressive scan picture (I wouldn't go as far to say I agree with the "twice the quality of progressive scan" claim that this player offers) I would say go for it, I did...I don't think there are a whole lot of other DVI or 1080i choices right now on the market (Bravo?) I'm sure there will be by December tho

Andy Stocker

Robbie_L

Auditioning
I just bought the samsung HD931 last night and along with my mits ws55413, all I can say is WOW!!

At first, I was thinking there was nothing special about this DVD player because when I popped in starwars 2, the film was very grainy (yes I am using DVI output).

But after scrolling through my video setting I noticed that the contrast was completely jacked up.. = DOH!! After a minute or two tweaking the real beauty came out and I am still amazed at the PQ.

Best 300.00 I have spent in a long time. Granted the player is 300.00 and the dvi cable was another 100.00, im not sure if this is in your budget or not, but I highly recommend it.

Eric*B

Agent
Hmmm....ok, I'm off to hunt for deals on a 931. Looks like Amazon had them for $235 w free shipping a while back (of course, it's expired now!)

I wonder why the selection of CUE free players with the Faroujda chip has gone down so much. Panny had several available last year. Guess it will be nice having DVI on the Samsung tho.

Thanks,
Eric

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I found that Tweeter stores carry the new Mitsubishi DD-8040 Faroudja-DCDi DVD player for $249, it appears to be the same internally )plus a few extra setup features) to the Denon DVD1200 which goes for $399. Tweeter also had open box Denon DVD900 for $199, the lowend Denons all use the Faroudja chipset. The latest models have a newer version of the Faroudja chipset than the couple-year-old Panasonic models, the new ones add features like zoom. The new Mitsubishi model and the lowend Denons are pretty much the only new-production models with Faroudja now, other companies like Panasonic have abandonded it completely to make cheaper models only. The few old model Panasonic (RP82,XP30,XP50) models that appear on ebay are usually used models and end up selling for $250-350, so you can now get the brand new Mitsubishi DD-8040 for less than that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
While the Philips 963sa (~$400) doesn't do DVI, it does use the newer Faroudja chip that these other players use. I'd also expect any upcoming mid/upper-tier player from Philips to use Faroudja as well. Their older Q10 player and 985 recorder also used Faroudja, and I heard their upcoming upper-tier recorder will also.

_Man_

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
That Philips is overpriced - it even costs more than a Denon! The Philips DVD players have a terrible user interface in my opinion, I stay away from them now.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic RP62 and CP72 are still available online at reasonable prices. The RP62 has the faroujda chipset but no DVD-A support and can be had online for around $100. The CP72 has the faroujda chipset, DVD-A support, and is a 5-Disc changer and can be had for around $200 online. I would look at the CP72 seriously since it's pretty much a 5-Disc RP82 and can be had for a much more reasonable price.

Hope this helps :)

Eric*B

Agent
Stephen,

Can you point me towards an online dealer that has any of those panny players? I've looked and just not been able to find any. Would be MOST appreciative!

Thanks!
Eric

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That Philips is overpriced - it even costs more than a Denon! The Philips DVD players have a terrible user interface in my opinion, I stay away from them now.
Overpriced? I've heard a wide range of things said about the 963sa, but never "overpriced". And how exactly is it more costly than a Denon? Seems to cost about the same as the discontinued(?) 1600 and the new 1200 from what I can tell. Unless you really want to compare it to the bottom-end Denon's.

Yes, the user interface (and a couple other things) could use some work, but IMHO, no enthusiast would discount a player merely based on that criteria.

_Man_

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Denon 1600's can be found for $299 and yes I would discount a player for a terrible user interface - it makes it too difficult to use! Things like having to hold down a button for FF or REV for instance!

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panasonic CP-72 and am very pleased, however presently can not take advantage of the progressive output.
Great changer though and DVD-A is awesome.
But I do not think I have the Faroujda chip-set. My understanding it was only on first production run, and you can tell by the serial number. I think the ones so equipped had an 'A' after the serial number. Sorry, I don't remember the exact difference but it is apparently indicated.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Denon 1600's can be found for $299 and yes I would discount a player for a terrible user interface - it makes it too difficult to use! Things like having to hold down a button for FF or REV for instance!
Well, you have a strong opinion. I'll give you that. Don't know what you're talking about w/ the FF/REV buttons though -- have you actually used a Philips 963sa?? Are you sure you're not confusing this w/ a Toshiba player or some other Philips player?

Personally, I've seen many more posts suggesting that the Denon 1600 was overpriced until the recent street-level price cuts -- and I don't think you'll see the $300 price very often either. When that player was in actual production, its street price was no lower than the Philips'. Meanwhile, the Panny RP82 was available for ~1/2 the price of the Denon. So the real reason to choose the Denon over the RP82 back then was clearly for the audio benefits. And the same might be said of the Philips 963sa...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks