What's new

DVD player and Bass Management (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I've read quite a bit about BM and DVD players here. I just bought a DV563a a few weeks ago.

The DV563 owners manual doesn't give a specific range for its small, large setting. All speakers set to large sounds fine.

There is one track on the Frank Zappa Halloween DVD that tests the bass. On this particular track "easy meat" the bass sounds a bit boomy. If I go into the large/small settings in the DVD player and set the rear to small it sounds horrible, way too thin and tinny.

The reciever's small/large doesn't seem to make any difference at all. This gives me reason to believe that maybe my receiver isn't changing the analogue 5.1 input into digital for processing (and back to anaogue again). If my receiver isn't conducting any processing of the 5.1 analogue input, is it possible I have a totally anaogue front end? IE. Is this perhaps a sign that I'm not converting that analogue signal off the dvd player back into digital? I assumed it would not be.

I don't know what the consensus if of this DVD player's bass management. But I'd say it's pretty undesireable. But for me and the limited DVD's I've listened to, not using any bass management sounds fine, except of course that one track's boominess. The rest of FZ's Halloween sounds fine. The entire DVD-A of Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" sounds great too. I don't think there is any bass issue at all with this one. I seem to be getting good full range sound through all speakers and any redundant deep bass goes out my sub.

Does anyone know if my receiver really IS reconverting my analogue 5.1 input back to digital? I know it's not desireable but I assumed almost ALL receivers did this. Which makes spending a lot of extra money on a DVD player with awesome dacs sort of pointless.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Does anyone know if my receiver really IS reconverting my analogue 5.1 input back to digital? I know it's not desireable but I assumed almost ALL receivers did this.
Nope, hardly *any* do this. Most leave analog MC input largely alone.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IIRC from the Sound & Vision review of the 563a, you're stuck with crossovers set at 100 or 120 Hz, depending on whether the source is DVD-A/DD/CD, or SACD)
Quick comment.

The S&V test reports that the DVD-A crossover is 200 Hz. Way too high for most systems. I think it is 100 Hz for DD/DTS, and 120 for SACD.

BGL

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
Rick, I know about that thread. I read all of it, it's what left me with questions. I wasn't sure if my receiver Arcam's avr200 would be converting an analogue in to digital and then back to analogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks