What's new

DVD-Audio: Glen Phillips (Problem) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I don't know if anyone else has this disc: Glen Phillips' Abulum . It is my first DVD-Audio disc. I'm not sure if this disc is defective, my player is freaking out or if this is just the way it is...

It's impossible to get to the menu using the Menu button. The only way to get to the menu is skipping through all the songs - after the last song, it drops you at the menu.

This wouldn 't be so bad if there was not TONS of additional stuff on the disc.

Is this the way DVD Audio discs work or what?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
WHAT? I have the CD, but I had no idea it was available in DVD-A! That is probably my favorite album of the year, and I'm glad he's continuing to make great music even after Toad The Wet Sprocket broke up. Gonna' go find that and buy it now...

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yes, I was surprised too. The disc has tons of additional content on it too. Interview, 14 songs of live video, etc.

I got mine at dvdempire.com for $17.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I discovered (quite by accident) that I have to hit the "TITLE" button on my remote to get to the main menu.

As far as the disc, it's beautiful. A ton of live songs, and the 5.1 remixes of all the other songs are really nice. I recommend this disc to anybody who likes Glen Phillips, or Toad The Wet Sprocket (one of the best bands EVER, in my humble opinion!).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that this DVD captures the humor in his set quite well. I was at the Largo show (one of like 50+ I've attended for him, yes I'm a disciple). It doesn't capture the bass that his guitar puts out, though. It sounds much deeper live and for some reason it wasn't captured on the recording. Since for a lot of shows he's solo, he uses it kind of like a substitute for percussion with his strumming style.
Still, this is a very good DVD and a must-have for any Glen/Toad fans. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Does this disc have a DD or DTS track as an alternative to DVD-A? In other words, I have a Panny RV-31 (no DVD-Audio)... so should I buy it or not?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Good. Hopefully, I have a TITLE button! Thank god for this thread. I thought it a remote possibility that someone would have this disc. :)
Anyway, you don't need a special DVD player to play these disc, I don't believe. Just a DVD player hooked to a DD decoder/receiver. You can listen in stereo too if you don't have a 5.1 setup.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I was finally able to find a copy of this last night. One word: BRILLIANT. I absolutely love the surround mixes of the songs, and especially enjoyed the interview segments with Glen explaining how each song came about. The Largo concert is just icing on the cake. My favorite thing about this disc is having the lyrics appear in slide-show format. My second favorite thing is the fact that I can now hear detail that I can't on the CD, like some of the fingering on the guitar and fret noise. This is truly an excellent disc.

JohnKings

Stunt Coordinator
"Toad The Wet Sprocket (one of the best bands EVER, in my humble opinion!)"

They are my favorite band to this day! Its funny how their fans have stayed true. Toad fans are truly die-hard.

Pale, in my opinion, is the best album ever made. I miss the band. I really hope that they can slove their muscical differences and get back together!

John

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
This thread should be moved to the music section where it can be ripped, scorched, argued about, dissected and of course, compared to SACD :).
Seriously, what advanced resolution versions (stereo and/or multichannel) does it have, and how does it sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks