DVD-A player w/ prog & int output question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Jan 19, 2003.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Question: I'm wanting to jump into the world of multi-channel music (specifically DVD-A). It seems like all of the players I'm looking into are progressive-only output. Am I correct in thinking that this won't play on my older 32" Sony Trinitron (no s or component input, only composite). I'd hate to upgrade my current DVD player (Sony PS2) to one that I can't use! Thanks in advance for all help...

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I have never heard of a player that supports only progressive output. Do understand that only the component outputs can support a progressive signal. If the DVD player has S-Video and composite outputs as well (which most players have), then the signal from these outputs is interlaced, not progressive. Also, progressive DVD players typically can be switched to interlaced mode for their component outputs as well. Bottom line, I'd be surprised if any of the DVD players you are looking at are not compatible with your TV.

Doug

3. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I think Doug said it.You should be able to choose video output,composite,s vid or component,in your case composite video.

4. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Very good gentlemen! Thanks for your help!