What's new

DVD-3800 + ICBM ?? How to? (1 Viewer)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Just received my Denon DVD-3800. I was using an el chreapo DVD player for DVD-Audio with an ICBM between my Yamaha RX-V3200 (fix crossover) and my Rotel RMB-1095. My speakers are all equidistant from the listening place. So no distance and timing problem here. The ICBM was giving me versatility for my crossover over the fix crossover of the Yammie.

The Denon DVD-3800 got bass management. So should I sell the ICBM, or should I still use it in my system?. Betweeen the DVD-3800 and the Yammie, or between the pre-amp and the amp?

Thank you all for your help. It's really a helpful place here.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Levesque, the '3800 doesn't have an adjustable crossover, does it? If not, then you might want to continue using the ICBM. The conventional way to use the ICBM is to have it between the player and the pre-amp, though you could try it between the pre-amp and power amp as well. Experiment! :)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Thank you for the answer, but I was hoping for a more technical overview of each possible configuration, with each weakness and strong point.

Any other help??

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Levesque, I can't say that there is an advantage in using the ICBM one way or the other. It would not be that difficult to try it both ways. Besides, that is the only way you are going get the answer to your question as it applies to your system.

You still didn't answer my question. Does the '3800 allow you to adjust the crossover frequency? I don't think it does. If it doesn't, then why would you consider taking it out of the system? Bass management is more than just speaker arrangement (large/small, yes/no).

The bottom line is that you should try each configuration and see which one you like best regarldess of what anyone tells you. Experiment!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I know, but I'm working really hard (3 pharmacy, 75 employes), so time is money for me... That's my first problem, my second one is that all my stuff is in a big wood-unit really heavy to move and to put back in place. So I need a friend to help just moving the thing. So I don't really like to "play" around with different configuration... I'm the lazzy type when at home:b

I was concern with time delay issue, volume issue with the ICBM between the pre-amp and amp, digital versus analog crossover, etc. I just want some knowladgeable people to chime in to explain if those issues with the ICBM are real world problem, or stereophile obseesion for perfection. Some says that the ICBM can screw-up time alignment. Others that there is a volume problem of 3db, etc. I just want some lights on the subject. I know I should try it and see.
But it's like when someone ask me for explanation on a medication before using it, even tough it's prescribe by a doctor. They just want a 2nd knowlageable opininon before swollowing the pill... They k now the pill will help them, but they are some people that are never sure enough, and doubting everything, and I really prefer those type of patient, because they inform themselve, instead of blindly taking the pill...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I use my ICBM between my pre/pro and my amp.

I let the pre/pro do bass management for the rear speakers because it works with time alignment, and you CAN tell the difference. I used to doubt it until I got a hold of a disc where the time alignment thing drove me nuts.

I then use the ICBM to manage bass for DVD-A (no time alignment at all) in the rears only.

Also, I set the front center speaker to a higher crossover point than the main L/Rs. This works great because the big box that is my RPTV has a detrimental effect on the bass sounds coming out of my center channel speakers. Setting the crossover higher for the center helps a great deal.

So I say keep it if you may have a similar situation.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Philip. Are your speakers equidistant from each others? Because me they are all at the same distance from the listening place. So I think I can use the ICBM between the pre and amp, w/o being scared of time alignment screw-up...

I'm just concern about some people talking of a mismatch of 3db if you put the ICBM after the pre-amp. Are you aware of this?

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks