What's new

Dummy Needs Help With Parasound Remote Trigger! (1 Viewer)

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
You'll kindly pardon my ignorance here, but I need a hand configuring the use of the remote trigger on my Parasound 1205A amp. Receiver in use is a Yamaha 795a; it, of course, has no remote trigger facility. I vaguely recall recently reading a post in which a fellow had used some sort of of AC/DC converter. He plugged the AC end into a switched outlet on the back of his receiver, then scissored off the DC end and screwed the two wires (+/+, -/-) to the amp's trigger terminal. Sound correct, and if so, can anyone point me to the proper part? Rat Shack hadn't a clue what I was after today.
Also, can it possibly be as simple as using the sort of power pack that's routinely provided with cordless phones? I've got one handy that reads on the rear:

"Input: 120VAC 60HZ 12W
Output: 9VDC 500mA"
If I was to snip off the connector on the DC end and split the two wires, connecting them to the 1205's screw-type terminals, might this do the trick? And how do I know which is positive and which is negative (two black wires, one with a white stripe; I assume this is positive).
Thanks for any help you may offer, and don't worry, gang. I'm not going to do anything stupid before I've got a better idea of how this works. Cheers!

DS.

Michael Merrell

Stunt Coordinator
I used a 12V AC adapter from RS that was able to take multiple plug types. I bought a bare wire end "plug", and I was all set.

You could also just get a 12V adapter and snip the wires... I do think it has to be 12V, though. That's what my 855A notes on the trigger posts (12V and ground).

I also needed an extension cord because the bulk of the adapter could not plug directly into my receiver.

--Mike

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
You'll nee a 12v transformer of about 500ma. You are correct that the wire with the stripe is supposed to be the positive, just cut the plug and strip the wires and you'll be fine.
The only other choice is a Furman PS-REL which would plug into a switched outlet on your receiver and send out a 12v signal when you turned your receiver on.

chella

Stunt Coordinator
1205A owner's manual states "trigger your amplifier on with an external DC voltage source ranging from + 9 Vdc to +12 Vdc." and "DC trigger only requires 15 mA of current".

So, what you have got should work, try it out.

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Update: hey thanks, guys! The DC power-pack I've got on hand works like a charm. Sheesh, that was easy!
"HTF: You've got questions, we've got answers!"
Cheers!

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks