What's new

Duct Tape Speaker Fix (1 Viewer)

Jeff Braddock

Second Unit
This should probably go in a differnt area of the forum, but the information in this post is quite valuable if you have a speaker problem.
Here's my story.

Last year at Christmas I got a "365 Days of Duct Tape" calendar. Each day has an amusing quote or story or something of that sort. Well, on Saturday, July 5th's page I found something that you all may be interested in. It is a "real life user testimonial" about duct tape. It reads as follows:

"I've got a pair of Advent speakers that were manufactured in 1974. Recently the light rubber molding that holds and centers the bass speakers disintegrated. Replacement speakers would be about $1,000, so I took duct tape and piece by piece replacedthe molding. The duct tape is flexible and the sound quality is as good as ever!!--Mike C."

Just thought you all might find it interesting.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Precision Port assemblies on my vented sub are proudly held together with...you know. The stretchy kind.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
After a tree fell on the convertible top of my Chrysler
LeBaron and I didn't want to spend $700.00 for a new top
(The car wasn't worth it..) I bought a piece of 1/8" Plexi
and (you guessed it..) Black Duct Tape.... I drove it that
way for another 6 months till I blew the head gasket then
I got another car...

LONG LIVE DUCT TAPE!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
They use duct tape in a lot of movies too. I've seen many cases where it was used for muffling a victim's voice during a kidnapping or securing their hands and feet together.

Apparently a product of many uses.

:D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've had first hand (two hands really) experience with duct tape on the mouth and wrists. I got loose but it bought the robber enough time to get away. Never commit a holdup without it! Oh, and a handgun helps too. :D

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I have duct tape holding the fiberglass running board stuff onto the front of my van. Works fine.

I've gotta try the speaker repair bit with it tho - I've got a pair of Altec Lansing "Image 20" speakers that has both the woofs and the passive radiators shot on - The speakers don't "look" great, and I've been basically just thinking of pulling and either boxing or tossing the drivers and PRs, and stuffing 'em with four 10" subs...

Maybe I'll see what they sound like.

The military green "thousand mile an hour tape" is best - it doesn't dry out.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Hank, having grown up in Austin if I can have only one tape I'll pick the "roadie" tape every time. I guess with the movie industry in Austin now, they may start calling gaffer tape there too.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the movie biz has really picked up here. Maybe I should sell tape out of the trunk of my car at the location shoots. "Pssst...hey buddy, wanna buy some gaffers' tape?" :cool:

Alex-F-V

Stunt Coordinator
Did you know you are not supposed to use duct tape on duct work? Ironic huh......
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Alex, in case you weren't joking, yes duct tape is for duct work - hence the name. A competitor calls theirs "Duck" tape :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks