What's new

DTS available over sattelite (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvinsite.com/twice/index....y=breakingNews
Article states how DTS is wanting to be included on over the air boradcasts in the future. Interesting news, but there is one line that really interests me.
"Satellite and cable providers have the bandwidth to add DTS at a data rate of 754kbps, and as they begin using their spectrum more efficiently, they can scale up DTS to a 1.5Mbps data rate, he said. Terrestrial DTV broadcasters, on the other hand, would likely initially offer 384kbps DTS given their bandwidth constraints, then scale up later, if the Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) adopts DTS as an option, Caldwell said"
So does this mean that DTS has figured out how to compress their stuff even more? It states there is no timetable for the algorithm, but this is kinda strange. Can DTS actually deliver good 5.1 sound at 384kbps? If they can, why are we not seeing a test on some DVD then?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My favorite part, is the idea that its up to the satellite and cable providers to ‘…begin using their spectrum more efficiently’. Which implies that they have heretofore being using it inefficiently.
Which means that I should no longer be annoyed when a signal suffers from lack of bandwidth. I’ll just tell DirectTV to be more efficient. :D

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
If they're going to do DTS, start with the 700+ kilobit/sec version. In fact they can also piggy back DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 too just like on DVD.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
DTS just wants to be included in DTV

I'll tell you right now that DTS in it's current forms stands no chance on the DTV spectrum. It's too big. And given tha the difference between 768 DTS and DD is negligable at best, and compressing it further will just negate it further, it's just not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks