What's new

Driving a standard tranny... (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As far as having to replace a clutch, I have had 3 standard cars and never replaced a clutch. Just don't ride the clutch and gas at the same time burning it out and it should last the life of the car with no problems.

E

Eric Kahn

everyone starts out in a manual being jerky on the starts and overeving the engine, and you will also do this when you get used to one car and go to another
once you get used to the car shifting will seem natural and you will wonder why you were worried

once you have your car and are used to it, just remember that the gearshift lever is not a handrest when driving, you can do expensive damage to your transmission buy keeping your hand on the shifter, by doing that, it keeps the shift forks pushed against the shifting collars in the tranny and causing lots of wear, there is no bearing in the joint, just oil and the springs that keep the fork centered so it is not touching the collar when you are not using the shifter

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I'm practicing heel/toe downshift (4th to 2nd) quite often these days. It feels awesome when I get it right. More often though, I end up braking too long. Sometimes, I rev it too much to match the revs in 2nd gear. Can anyone share any tips?

Chris Moe mentioned power shifting. What is that? Is that shifting without the clutch? I tried that once successfully from 3rd to 4th. Another time, I grinded the gear. Is it a useful technique?

Finally, is there any harm to shift into neutral without the clutch? I only do this while cruising in 3,4, or 5th and coming to a light.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

It just takes practice and getting to know how much to rev / brake when downshifting. Though honestly, unless traffic really slows down hard I won't shift down 2 gears. And in that case it'll be go from 4th to sputtering along in 2nd. A lot easier to match the revs when you're sputtering along barely above idle.

Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.