What's new

drilling holes into my laminate furniture.... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

i'm thinking about using a hole-saw to drill some holes into the back of my office furniture, so i can pass wires through, etc.

problem is i'm concerned about cracking/splintering/whatever the laminate. this is the cheapo build-it-yourself-type office furniture you get at ikea, etc

i'm thinking a couple of things:

1. get a fine-tooth saw. that should cut cleaner?
2. put some tape over the area i'm going to cut
3. drilling halfway through, then finishing the drill from the other side. something about minimizing splintering?

does this sound right to you guys? any other suggestions?

thx!

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
That's going to be your best course of action Ted. If you're going to run cables through the hole you might also want to get some plastic inserts from the hardware store. If you've got a variable speed drill motor, I think I'd run it pretty slow.

Mort

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yeah. First find some plastic ring covers at the hardware store to determine what size hole to drill. This will give it a much more finished look.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
#3 all the way, drill through from the front until the pilot bit pops through, then drill through from the back, hole saws should be done this way on any material..

edit: htf did I spell material wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks