Dreyer's MICHAEL and Masters of Cinema Series

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jerry Gerber, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Jerry Gerber

Jerry Gerber Extra

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any post on this interesting new distributor in the UK. Their current release is a two disc release of what is considered Carl Dreyer's first masterpiece MICHAEL. The second disc is called the European version of the film with a different musical scoring and the original German intertitles. Included also is a lush booklet that among other things has a great essay by Jean Renoir on Dreyer.

It's interesting to see this sort of release coming from a source other than the usual suspects. And it looks like there is more to come.. Check out the website if you're interested under www dot mastersofcinema dot org
    Jerry

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Here's the link to the series:

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/discs.htm#

I received Michael today BTW, and judging by first impressions the MoC/Eureka brand indeed looks like a great new addition to the classic movie dvd scene.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

It's a great package. I'll be looking forward to more Masters of Cinema Eureka releases next year.

4. Jerry Gerber

Jerry Gerber Extra

I myself am going to keep an eye on this source. They have some very interesting Teshigahara's coming up. He's the director who did WOMAN IN THE DUNES. His films on Masters of Cinema's roster are THE FACE OF ANOTHER and PITFALL. I saw these flicks a couple of years ago in a retrospective. They are awsome beauties.