What's new

Dr. Robert Moog (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
At the time of recording Clockwork, Bach, Sonic etc. he was a he, hormone treatment be damned IMO, it wasn't until 72 (I had thought it was 74/75) that it actually took place. Walter was Walter until then as far as I am concerned (and that was the name used on all of the "Walter" era albums up until the mid to late 80's), but that's just my personal stubborn view on the subject.

I don't quite understand what this means, what about the image? The name? Wendy has actually tried to sue a musician in 1993 (I believe) who put out a song called Walter Carlos, not because of the actual content of the song but the use of Carlos' original name.....she's apparently pretty touchy on the subject of acknowledging her past. I don't care if a person wants to do this, that's their right AFAIC but at least stay true to your history.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well since the debate is on vis-a-vis Mickey Dolens and the Moog, I'll throw this in for s**** and giggles, Graham Massey was the guy who did the most with the minimoog.

There, I said it. :)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

So, all in all, your own personal timetable for acknowledging the transition is probably as good as any other. :)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of other considerations, if you want to hear the album that launched the Moog, try to get a copy of the original Switched on Bach (be warned - there was a remake of the album released by Telarc in the 90s; it can be identified easily because the Toccata and fugue in D is on it, which isn't on the original). This demonstrated that the synthesiser could play music in its own right (rather than just add novelty sounds). Then try Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene; love it or hate it, the album demonstrated that synthesisers could not only play identifiable notes, but could be used to create sound textures. A huge number of modern dance acts acknolwedge a big debt to that album, even if they don't like the music.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

:eek: Wow.....I had only read a news blog about it saying that Carlos had sued the man because of a decades long fight she has had to bury the name Walter from her current life and that the song itself was just a homage of the Walter of the past.....but that's a bit different.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
BTW, has anyone been able to get the minimoog v demo on the dvd to work? I can't get a single sound out of the damn thing!:D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have done all of that & I still can't get a single sound out of either demo, I have it set for directsound...nothing. Odd.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Gershon Kingsley teamed up with Jean-Jacques Perrey for a pair of fairly successful pop moog albums on the Vanguyard label in the late 60's. They then each released solo material. Their music was just plain fun - a deliriously entertaining combination of catchy melodies and electronic sound effects. I suspect that some of this is still in print on Vanguard CD's.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
For those interested Wendy Carlos' site now has a Bob Moog page opened, it is filled with interesting info and anecdotes: Robert A. Moog

She slightly illuminates about how sHe was involved in the later development of the Moog, Herb Deutsch was clearly one of the first instrumental musical collaborators with Bob on developing the synth....being a smart man he sought out advice from as many musicians as possible over the years in making the device as legitimate a musical instrument as he could.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

And, of course, one of their songs can be heard almost every night at a Disney theme park . . . The Baroque Hoedown, which is the theme song to The Main Street Electrical Parade.

John_Kiger

Agent
I had a 45rpm recording of "Minotaur", performed on the Moog Synthesizer, sometime in the 1960s. I don't recall who the artist was.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm...."Dick Hyman"....next to Peter O'Toole that is the most sexually suggestive name I have ever heard.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks