What's new

Do I need PL2 if I have DTS Neo 6? And what's Denon's DDSC? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of buying a Yamama 1200 or Denon 2802 which both have prologic II and DTSES. I was just thinking, would it be ok for me to buy a 3801 even though it does not have prologic II, it has Neo 6, which is from what I understand is similar to prologic two, better to get the 3801 or 1200/2802? Also, the 2802 does not have Denon's DDSC. The 2801 and 3801/3801 have it. What does it do, and what will the benefits be, and will I be able to notice them?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
DTS NEO is supposed to the the same thing as DPLII, but according to most, DPLII is better.

Denon's DDSC is something they use in their receivers that shot off other audio circuits when switching sources. There's a slight pause and "click" when you switch sources, and Denon claims that this reduces background noise, and provides an even cleaner signal path. At first, I didn't care for the pause and "click" until after learning what Denon was trying to accomplish with it. Yamaha, on the other hand, switches sources immediately without any delays or clicks.

I personally think it's good to have DDSC and may be one of the reasons why Denon's sound is so highly regarded.

Elbert

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
So if I ellect to go with the 2802, is it going to sound worse, as in bad, or will it be ok? Is the 2802 without DDSC going to sound ok and still better than everythign else in the field. I ask because I will not be bale to listen to it before I buy it.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
My take on the DTS NEO 6 vs. Dolby Pro Logic II?

I feel that DPL II is the best implimentation of 2 channel based surround sound that I have yet heard. (I have NOT heard Logic 7 marketed by Harman Kardon and Lexicon.) DPL II is much more enveloping than original Pro Logic and much less center channel oriented. I have compared it to DTS NEO 6 in both the cinema and music modes. While DTS NEO 6 also sounds better to me than original Pro Logic, it just isn't as spacious sounding as DPL II. My bottom line feelings toward DPL II is that if anyone listens to ANY 2 channel based surround, they should not buy a new surround receiver or processor without it!

(BTW, my take on DDSC is different than Elbert's. The acronym stands for Dynamic Discrete Surround Circuit. It's my understanding that DDSC is the name Denon gives to certain surround circuit designs. Apparently, in DDSC, the DACs, ADCs, DSP processors, and crossover filters are housed in their own devices. This is supposed to help prevent potential inteference between these different functions (that are all running at the same time.) As to whether or not DDSC results in audible differences, I can't say. At least not in the way I can about DPL II.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks