What's new

DLSR shooters, what P/S compact do you use? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For a time I was using the Fuji F31fd, which provided some great results for being a point-and-shoot compact.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ygx/2409826096/

Since then I've been trying to find something that will meet a particular set of requirements, mostly for low light and concerts. I know I can never get DSLR quality from a compact, but I want to get as close as possible without breaking the bank or getting so close to the price of an entry level DSLR that I start wondering why I'm bothering.

The latest one I'm trying is the Olympus XZ-1. Its fast f/1.8-f/2.5 lens is the main selling point. I did briefly try out the Canon S100, but the lens's three stop variable aperture was brutal. At least with the Olympus, the one-stop difference can be reasonably compensated for in Lightroom.

I'm itching to use it in a low light environment, like a concert.

So far the macro mode is pretty nice.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The only compact p&s we currently own is a Canon Elph (cannot remember the model #) that my wife uses. I do not really care for it, as the mode dial moves too easily and is difficult to read the icons. It has a "manual" mode, but it's not really manual. The camera works for her needs, though.
The new Canon Powershot G1X looks interesting. It has a larger sensor than most p&s cameras (bigger than a four-thirds sensor, in fact), shoots in RAW format, and will use your Canon external flash. If I was to buy a p&s camera to supplement my dSLRs, this would probably be the one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's pricey, but has anyone read up on the Sony RX100?
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-dsc-rx100/
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06/06/Sony-DSC-RX100-preview-with-sample-images
But I still have an older Canon A650 (and even older A610) that I rarely use, except in a pinch. My photos at the Sting concert last week were pretty horrid, but we had seats to the side, and very far away.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I've pretty much given up on Canon for compacts, unless they do something really radical. There's always this glint of promise about them, but the critical piece for me has always been the lens and the variable f/stops (the G1x has a two-stop differential) are deal breakers. I've learned this the hard way though, as most everything else about the cameras are rather nice.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My friend who's coming along for the HTF Hollywood trip in October is looking for a small compact camera, so this thread is quite timely. :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I quite liked the S100, except for the variable aperture and battery life (about 200 snaps). If he's going to be shooting in daylight the aperture won't be much of an issue, but if he's going to do much in lower light, he's either going to have to work in the 24mm-35mm range (giving f/2.0 to f/2.8) or shoot mostly with flash.

The other thing I didn't like about the S100 is the lack of a physical button to pop the flash. Turning on/off the flash via the flash menu button raises/lowers the flash. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's an annoyance when almost every other compact and DSLR has a physical button. I guess that's the price you pay for a small size, which the S100 definitely has going for it.

The Fuji X10 was on my radar, but it was over my budget (entering into the DSLR pricing) and reports of the "white orb" issue turned me off. For $200 less, the Olympus seemed to have comparable specs, with the exception of the sensor size (1/1.7" vs. 2/3"), which according to this graphic isn't considerable.

deea91f8_550px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg.png

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
David Pogue just posted his review of the Sony RX100.

He teased about it in one of his previous articles about the Canon S100, but the dealbreaker remains the variable aperture (three stops!).

The RX100 may have a larger sensor that affords low noise captures, but a loss of three stops at the telephoto end means you'll have to pump up the ISO an equivalent amount to compensate.

The illustrator mode is...interesting, if you're going for that "Waking Life" / unnecessarily rotoscoped commercial look.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's selling well.
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/07/the-number-one-camera.html
Loving my 5N so much that I'm going to put the NEX7 up for sale.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Canon G15 is coming next month. It seems they have finally tamed the variable aperture issue - only a stop now, instead of three. But I've been dissatisfied too many times by the Canon Gs, so I'm just going to observe from a distance.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would very much like to upgrade to a DSLR Nikon or Canon but right now I am and have been using a Canon Power Shot 590is
An image taken by a newer Canon Elph 110NS Camera that I help pick out for a friend

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks